Amex - Does refund count towards payment

2»

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So looking at their BA Credit Card it is different from their ChargeCard as it states that refunds and payments by them won't count towards minimum payment etc unless it reduces the overall balance to below the statement balance/minimum balance. 

So if you've spent more than the refund since the statement then the full statement would be payable. 
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January at 7:26PM
    No I haven’t spent more than the refund. If I pay the statement I’ll be in credit. But I know they’ll send it back. Last time I had to email them a statement of my bank account so they could verify it, but I don’t mind that much.

its a credit card - used to be platinum everyday (no fee).
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 January at 10:18PM
    lisyloo said:
    No I haven’t spent more than the refund. If I pay the statement I’ll be in credit. But I know they’ll send it back. Last time I had to email them a statement of my bank account so they could verify it, but I don’t mind that much.

Well (for example) if you have a balance of £1000 and you are getting a refund of £700, just pay £300. Seems pointless paying them a grand just to claim £700 back from Amex further down the line.
    . This all assumes they refund you before the due date. 
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 January at 11:19PM
    la531983 said:h
    lisyloo said:

Well (for example) if you have a balance of £1000 and you are getting a refund of £700, just pay £300. Seems pointless paying them a grand just to claim £700 back from Amex further down the line.
    . This all assumes they refund you before the due date. 
    I have confirmed with Amex that assuming the refund hits before the due date I can reduce my payment and no interest will be charged. I have that in chat but as a precaution I took a screenshot as I always do for information I rely on that has a financial consequence.

thanks all
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure