Unknown Clydesdale mortgage and financial connection added by Virgin Money

Options
SamDude
SamDude Posts: 435 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
edited 18 January at 12:08AM in Credit file & ratings
I was routinely checking my credit report via Credit Karma this evening and the first thing I spotted was my score had dropped from 660/710 to 570 (-70) in a couple of weeks - dropping from Excellent/Good to Fair. It usually moves by +/-10 but this was a shock.

When I checked the information, a Clydesdale Mortgage was listed with a balance of £160,000 (and missed/overdue payments going back a couple of years). 
This was opened in 2016 and it is not my mortgage - my mortgage (with HSBC) is showing on the report with the correct details.

I can also see a new financial connection that has been added that I do not recognise, the name is nothing close to my name or anyone I know. It was added/reported by Virgin Money Current Accounts a couple of weeks ago (so, the same organisation as Clydesdale).

I have a Virgin Money current account (which has not been used regularly for over a year), but I don't have anything with Clydesdale. The only financial association I have is with my wife, which does show correctly on the report.

I called Virgin Money but it was 5 minutes after their lines closed for the evening (9.00pm), so I will call them again in the morning.

As Credit Karma use TransUnion, I've just checked the MSE Credit Club report as it uses Experian to see what shows on there. The MSE report also has the Clydesdale mortgage on it but it doesn't show the unknown person in the financial association section.

I have logged a dispute with TransUnion and Experian, and I am hoping that this is a mistake on their (Clydesdale/Virgin) part, rather than a fraudulent attempt at linking me with a mortgage in default.

Does anyone have any experience/advice please?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to complain to the people who put the mortgage on, they are reporting it to the CRAs who just display what they are told.

Don't worry about the gimmick score, nobody but you ever sees it.
  • SamDude
    Options
    Thanks @Nasqueron

I've contacted Virgin Money who routed me to the Clydesdale Fraud team.
    They have said that there is no mortgage (or any product) for me on their system.
    I've been told to raise the dispute with the CRA (which I've already done for Experian/Equifax/TransUnion) and when they confirm the correct information, the mortgage and association will be removed.

I'll keep this thread updated (and hopefully understand how/why this happened).
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    I think Virgin are correct - as the product is not for you - but they are still reporting someone else's product is your debt.

You are also able to complain to the ICO if you don't get any resolution from the CRAs but I would keep pushing Virgin
  • SamDude
    Options
    After a much longer call with Virgin, there has been some movement.

The Clydesdale mortgage has been removed from my ClearScore/Equifax credit report. :smile:

No updates to my CreditKarma/TransUnion (which shows the unknown mortgage and financial connection) or MSE/Experian (unknown mortgage only) reports.
    I'm hoping its a matter of waiting for them to update :neutral:

• Nasqueron
    Options
    The free reports typically take a month or so to pickup, indeed, I did a tracker for a couple of months on my CC balances and some of them took 2 months to update. The live one that other lenders see is usually immediate
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback