We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

CCTV Advice

Options
Yesterday my front garden wall was demolished by a learner driver (in a proper driving school car) doing a 3 point turn.  Fortunately the instructor was honest and didn't drive away.  However this is the second time in 2 years it has happened as my street is quiet and is used a lot by driving instructors.  The first driver did drive away but fortunately the neighbour witnessed it and got the cars registration.

I have a Ring floodlight cam but that only covers the drive and as this all happened in the road it caught nothing though I do have 2 stills as it records stills every 30 seconds but they are not of a quality to see the registration.

I am looking for a good resolution CCTV system that will just record the front of my house.  I'm not looking for anything that requires a subscription (not that impressed with Ring anyway) I would like something that just continually records and can be accessed locally just so I can be sure I can get a record of this happens again.  The last repair cost £3,600 this one is going to be more as it's more extensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Many years ago there was a ‘quiet’ residential road nearby where driving schools would practice three-point turns, parking, hill starts, everything. Learners in the street all day long. Eventually they asked the test centre to speak to the driving schools and they slowly went elsewhere. Is that a possibility at your location?
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have a look a at a Hikvision set with a NVR. A turret camera with what what ever resolution and features you require can be paired to a basic NVR and still allow you add more camera later if you need it. it records continually. And you can also access it remotely if you want to.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,736 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 January at 7:55PM
    Options
    Yesterday my front garden wall was demolished by a learner driver (in a proper driving school car) doing a 3 point turn.  Fortunately the instructor was honest and didn't drive away.  However this is the second time in 2 years it has happened as my street is quiet and is used a lot by driving instructors.  The first driver did drive away but fortunately the neighbour witnessed it and got the cars registration.

I have a Ring floodlight cam but that only covers the drive and as this all happened in the road it caught nothing though I do have 2 stills as it records stills every 30 seconds but they are not of a quality to see the registration.

I am looking for a good resolution CCTV system that will just record the front of my house.  I'm not looking for anything that requires a subscription (not that impressed with Ring anyway) I would like something that just continually records and can be accessed locally just so I can be sure I can get a record of this happens again.  The last repair cost £3,600 this one is going to be more as it's more extensive.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have one of these...
    virtavo Wireless Security Camera Outdoor, 1080P WiFi CCTV For Home Security, With Rechargeable Battery, Colorful Night Vision, Remote Access, PIR Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio, Alexa, SD/Cloud https://amzn.eu/d/1ah5076
    I'm not that impressed if I'm honest, but it doesn't require power or the optional cloud storage and will store captured video onto an SD car, which you have to buy separately. You need a phone app and the camera connected to WiFi to view the videos, but it will capture them without a WiFi connection once set up.
    A fully charged battery will probably last 1 or 2 weeks, rather than the months they suggest, but the video quality is good, even at night (in black & white).
    You can see the files on the SD card if you connect it to a PC, but I haven't yet found a way to actually view them on a Windows PC!
    It's over sensitive if anything, and the optional detection zone is pretty useless IME.
    If you get it at a discounted price, you get what you pay for.  :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Many years ago there was a ‘quiet’ residential road nearby where driving schools would practice three-point turns, parking, hill starts, everything. Learners in the street all day long. Eventually they asked the test centre to speak to the driving schools and they slowly went elsewhere. Is that a possibility at your location?
    To be honest I don’t know, but worth a try. 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    Options
    victor2 said:

I have one of these...
    virtavo Wireless Security Camera Outdoor, 1080P WiFi CCTV For Home Security, With Rechargeable Battery, Colorful Night Vision, Remote Access, PIR Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio, Alexa, SD/Cloud https://amzn.eu/d/1ah5076
    I'm not that impressed if I'm honest, but it doesn't require power or the optional cloud storage and will store captured video onto an SD car, which you have to buy separately. You need a phone app and the camera connected to WiFi to view the videos, but it will capture them without a WiFi connection once set up.
    A fully charged battery will probably last 1 or 2 weeks, rather than the months they suggest, but the video quality is good, even at night (in black & white).
    You can see the files on the SD card if you connect it to a PC, but I haven't yet found a way to actually view them on a Windows PC!
    It's over sensitive if anything, and the optional detection zone is pretty useless IME.
    If you get it at a discounted price, you get what you pay for.  :)
    I don’t mind paying good money for a properly installed system but the 2 places I’ve tried locally want a subscription. 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    Options
    This is the damage. It’s actually much worse than it looks as the wall to the left for a good 2 metres is leaning and the pillar is cracked at the base and to the right it’s cracked to the pillar. I reckon 2/3 of the wall will need rebuilding. 

• Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A proper system would use a NVR ( Networked video recorder) which stores everything on it hard disc. With one 8megapixel camera a 2gig HD will give you 20 days or so or recoding before overwriting. No subscription. You have the option of remote access if you want and have broadband. A higher resolution camera  such as 5MP or more will allow you to zoom in to number plates and faces from a distance.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd have thought that, for your needs, all that's required is a camera that uses an SD card. No cloud, no subscription.
    Most, if not all, will also allow real time viewing over WiFi on a phone App, and also playback, but you usually need to remove the card to download a specific recording. But this isn't an issue, surely? You just let it run, and it loops/overrides every couple of weeks, and you only need to get hold of the recording when summat actually happens.
    Would you be able to run a low voltage - say 12V - to it easily?
    If the image captures a 'public' area, you should put a sign up. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback