Council Tax Date liable

Options
I was left a property when a family member died in 2021. I applied for ascension of the property to my name through Land Registry in March 2022. I had to have the property registered to me before a mortgage would be given therefore this was not given until June 2022. 
When I moved in to the property i was hit with a bill of £1500 which included the months March, April, May and June, times when I was not at the property. 
Since then I have paid inflated monthly payments to clear the debt however I am still at a loss. 
I have challenged, fought and complained to no avail. 
Any advice if this is correct? 

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the property became yours in March 2022 by reason of the executors of the estate officially transferring ownership to you, then the council are correct in charging you CT from that date, which if it had been unoccupied for more than 2 years would be at twice the standard rate until you moved in. Several months can elapse between a transfer of ownership and it being recorded by the Land Registry.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback