Why do carer's get pension credits but the disabled person doesn't?

Options
Can someone explain the logic of this? I receive PIP and my wife receives CA. I receive no pension credits but my wife does.  I'm told I need to apply for UC or ESA to receive pension credits. 

I find it odd that the disabled person needs to jump through hoops to get pension credits but the carer gets them with ease. 

Anyone know what the government's thinking is on this?

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can someone explain the logic of this? I receive PIP and my wife receives CA. I receive no pension credits but my wife does.  I'm told I need to apply for UC or ESA to receive pension credits. 

I find it odd that the disabled person needs to jump through hoops to get pension credits but the carer gets them with ease. 

Anyone know what the government's thinking is on this?
    Because Carers Allowance is classed as an income-replacement benefit, PIP and equivalent disability benefits aren't.  That's why UC, JSA and ESA (and previously Incapacity Benefit, and Income Support) give NI credits too, they are income-replacement benefits.  It's also why CA is deducted from UC and ESA (or not payable alongside new-style ESA), as they are overlapping benefits of the same type.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback