Options

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    luci said:
    Goudy said:

Car from fleets, like hire companies tend to not have a dealer stamped up service book or service receipts but can go through independent garages for servicing.
    Quite often they are then sold with a flimsy printout of service dates and nothing else, this can be off putting for some as it can cause problems with any outstanding manufacturers warranty.
    Aren't service books a thing of the past? When  we bought our Golf, a few years ago, the chap at the dealership told us that VW no longer issues service books and it's all just recorded online. ours has a full MD SH but the only evidence we have is the invoice issued after each service which details what has been done. I would have thought that most companies did it like this now.

Not all Kia proudly state.
    Kia UK do not maintain a centralised service record database, if the service record booklet for your car is incomplete you should contact the dealer that carried out the work or the previous owner (if applicable)

No stamp = No warranty.
    If your Kia car is not serviced by a Kia dealer or Authorised repairer we recommend:
    • The garage completing the service is VAT registered.
    • The service must be carried out correctly as detailed in the owner’s manual.
    • Only genuine Kia parts and lubricants as recommended by Kia or equivalent quality must be used.
    • The part numbers used should be detailed on the service invoice.
    • The oil type and grade used should be detailed on the service invoice.
    • Service records in the warranty booklet must be stamped and dated.

Perhaps they also issue a hard copy owner's manual too. VW didn't and said it was all online (which is fine for somethings but for others less so) but said we could have one for £70 but it would have to be ordered and would take several months to arrive! I couldn't find a second-hand one online so gave up. Anyway, I'm going off-topic (sorry).
    From what I have found, Kias don't come with an owner's manual, it's online. Apparently they don't come with a nice folder for the service book either, it's just a basic folder. I'll find out tomorrow when my car arrives.
    Should still get a hard copy of handbook. But very few read them, instead ask question online... 
    Folders are not as good as old ones. But better than nothing.

http://webmanual.kia.com/STD_GEN5W/AVNT/EU/English/index.html

Online head unit manual. As you do not get a hard copy for that, as they can change with any updates.
    Life in the slow lane
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 March at 1:24PM
    Options
    luci said:
    Goudy said:

Car from fleets, like hire companies tend to not have a dealer stamped up service book or service receipts but can go through independent garages for servicing.
    Quite often they are then sold with a flimsy printout of service dates and nothing else, this can be off putting for some as it can cause problems with any outstanding manufacturers warranty.
    Aren't service books a thing of the past? When  we bought our Golf, a few years ago, the chap at the dealership told us that VW no longer issues service books and it's all just recorded online. ours has a full MD SH but the only evidence we have is the invoice issued after each service which details what has been done. I would have thought that most companies did it like this now.

Kia UK do not maintain a centralised service record database, if the service record booklet for your car is incomplete you should contact the dealer that carried out the work or the previous owner (if applicable)

No stamp = No warranty.
    If your Kia car is not serviced by a Kia dealer or Authorised repairer we recommend:
    • Only genuine Kia parts and lubricants as recommended by Kia or equivalent quality must be used.

Perhaps they also issue a hard copy owner's manual too. VW didn't and said it was all online (which is fine for somethings but for others less so) but said we could have one for £70 but it would have to be ordered and would take several months to arrive! I couldn't find a second-hand one online so gave up. Anyway, I'm going off-topic (sorry).
    From what I have found, Kias don't come with an owner's manual, it's online. Apparently they don't come with a nice folder for the service book either, it's just a basic folder. I'll find out tomorrow when my car arrives.
    Should still get a hard copy of handbook. But very few read them, instead ask question online... 
    Folders are not as good as old ones. But better than nothing.

http://webmanual.kia.com/STD_GEN5W/AVNT/EU/English/index.html

Online head unit manual. As you do not get a hard copy for that, as they can change with any updates.
    I have occasionally used the manual to troubleshoot when I've been out and about.

ETA - many thanks for the link, very helpful. I would have preferred to download it, but that doesn't seem to be an option.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There is a QR code on head unit, so you can view it on your phone 
    Life in the slow lane
  • luci
    edited 28 March at 3:22PM
    Options
    There is a QR code on head unit, so you can view it on your phone 
    Thanks, will look for that. Showing my ignorance here, but is the head unit the infotainment screen?
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    luci said:
    luci said:
    Goudy said:

No stamp = No warranty.

We don't have a service book - that is all online too. I"m not sure if they would give you a print out if you wanted it to show someone, e.g. a private buyer, but otherwise all we have is the invoices showing what has been done.
    Is that for a Kia?

If the service log is online only, I would hope that you would be able to print it out at home. I have just sold my car via Motorway. I had to upload copies of all the pages of the service book.

No, it's a VW.
  • luci
    Options
    New Kia has arrived, complete with a manual and service book.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    luci said:

That's good. Happy motoring!
  • luci
    Options
    luci said:

Thanks. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to drive it. I had a 20 minute tootle round an empty car park and only put my left foot on the brake once, as if it was the clutch. It's like a flipping space ship with all the gadgets and gizmos.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    luci said:
    luci said:

Thanks. I'm trying to pluck up the courage to drive it. I had a 20 minute tootle round an empty car park and only put my left foot on the brake once, as if it was the clutch. It's like a flipping space ship with all the gadgets and gizmos.
    Yes, I think there are often too many gadgets nowadays. A couple of years ago a friend of mine bought a Ford and it was an ex-demonstrator and it had just about every extra they did. She still hasn't worked out how to use most of them. We've had our car for 6 years and I still get confused about how to turn on the cruise control  - not that I have call to use it often.

• luci
    Options
    It's top of the range and seems to have everything, including flappy paddles. Going to get used to the basics first before thinking about the rest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback