Virgin Money interest rate drop - is this the beginning of saving rate drops??

Options
Tryinghardtosave
Tryinghardtosave Posts: 46 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 16 January at 3:52PM in Savings & investments
I have just received an email telling me that my M Plus saver account interest rate is dropping down to 2.50% from the 3.55%
It wasn't the best rates to begin with, but that is quite a drop.
I wonder if the other institutions will also begin to drop the rates - might be time to lockup in a 1 or 2 year deal now. 

Comments

• boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yep, I got the same email today too. A bit annoying because Virgin is my main current account and it's handy having an associated savings account at the same bank to hold a bit of contingency cash without any risk of transfers between it and the current account being blocked. I'll probably reduce that amount now but still keep about £1000 sitting there earning the paltry 2.5%

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    boingy said:
    Yep, I got the same email today too. A bit annoying because Virgin is my main current account and it's handy having an associated savings account at the same bank to hold a bit of contingency cash without any risk of transfers between it and the current account being blocked. I'll probably reduce that amount now but still keep about £1000 sitting there earning the paltry 2.5%
    You could always use their ISA at 4.75%?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jimjames said:
    boingy said:
    You could always use their ISA at 4.75%?
    Yep, except my ISAs are going to be maxed each tax year for the next 2-3 years (mostly not with Virgin). After that my ISAs will probably have a bit of space in them.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 January at 7:06PM
    Options
    Virgin Money interest rate drop - is this the beginning of saving rate drops??

[...]

I wonder if the other institutions will also begin to drop the rates - might be time to lockup in a 1 or 2 year deal now. 
    In terms of the thread title question, no, that ship has been sailing for a while now, in the fixed term space at least, where three months ago you could get 6+% for a one-year fix, then 5.91%, 5.66% and 5.31% have been the leading rates in (the middle of) subsequent months....
  • allegro120
    allegro120 Posts: 918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    boingy said:

I've got 4 pairs of them.  They used to be paying top rates for some time, but never became competitive again since their rates were overtaken by other providers.  I have £0 balance in all 8 accounts for a few years now. From time to time they send me reminders that the account was inactive for a long time and will be closed, so I do occasional in-and-out payments to these accounts alive.  However, I have ISA with Virgin that matures at the end of this month and already opened a new 5.25% ready for transfer.  AFAIK best ISA offer on the market at the moment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback