NatWest app - poor transaction information

The information given in the Natwest app, particularly for incoming transactions, is terrible. All you get is the reference the other person wrote. Had people send me money for organising a trip and no idea who the money has come from, they all just say 'train' or some variance. You can create a PDF in of the transaction but it gives you no more info.

It's the only real issue with an otherwise really good app. Is there another way to get sender info?
«1

Comments

  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,618
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    j813ys said:
    The information given in the Natwest app, particularly for incoming transactions, is terrible. All you get is the reference the other person wrote. Had people send me money for organising a trip and no idea who the money has come from, they all just say 'train' or some variance. You can create a PDF in of the transaction but it gives you no more info.

    It's the only real issue with an otherwise really good app. Is there another way to get sender info?
    The reference the other person wrote is, basically, the only information you are likely to be given. The problem is not NatWest's app but the content of that reference. People should, if they're sensible, at least add their surname to it for the sort of transactions you're describing. Have you asked them to?
  • j813ys
    j813ys Posts: 22
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The reference should be irrelevant. Every other banking app shows the name of the account holder that sent you the money, as well as a reference, regardless of reference content.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,902
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    j813ys said:
    The reference should be irrelevant. Every other banking app shows the name of the account holder that sent you the money, as well as a reference, regardless of reference content.
    If you have enough alternative accounts to support a view that every other banking app has this capability then you'd probably be best to use one of those instead when gathering money from multiple sources?
  • j813ys
    j813ys Posts: 22
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    eskbanker said:
    j813ys said:
    The reference should be irrelevant. Every other banking app shows the name of the account holder that sent you the money, as well as a reference, regardless of reference content.
    If you have enough alternative accounts to support a view that every other banking app has this capability then you'd probably be best to use one of those instead when gathering money from multiple sources?
    Unfortunately I don't have a time machine.
  • j813ys
    j813ys Posts: 22
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm aware that you can just use another account, ask for references to be put etc.. etc.. 

    The question still stands, is there a way for the end user to find out where some money have entered their account from? Be it from someone they know, or otherwise.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,618
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 4:21PM
    j813ys said:
    The reference should be irrelevant. Every other banking app shows the name of the account holder that sent you the money, as well as a reference, regardless of reference content.
    Er, no they don't!  And the reference is very very relevant.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,618
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    j813ys said:
    I'm aware that you can just use another account, ask for references to be put etc.. etc.. 

    The question still stands, is there a way for the end user to find out where some money have entered their account from? Be it from someone they know, or otherwise.
    The answer remains, no, not usually.  The best way is to ensure you know where a transfer is from is to get the person transferring money to enter an explanatory reference when they make the transfer. It's fairly normal procedure. If you've ever acted as treasurer for a club or society you'd be very well aware of the problems when no sensible reference is added - you just get untraceable transfers.. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,367
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I checked my NatWest app just now

    Money I sent from Kroo says my name in the My Transactions view (in the form "first name last name"). If I click on it and scroll down a bit, the "More information" section has the reference I put on (bills in this case)

    My partner transferred some money a bit before, I guess it's her bank format as the display in My Transactions is last name initial initial, again if I click on it, the More Info has the reference she added.

    My mum sent me some too and that is even worse, it's just Initial Initial but again if you click on it, you see the details

    I do note that the app sometimes takes a day to filter/update, ebay payments often come through as something like ebay297575098 then gets changed to eBay Commerce UK L

    I logged into Kroo and a payment I made earlier in the month says Surname initial initial on the Transactions screen, again clicking on it, it goes through to show the reference I put 

    I can't be bothered to test the other accounts I have but I bet they are the same. I don't see any problem with how the NatWest app works to be honest
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,902
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    j813ys said:
    I'm aware that you can just use another account, ask for references to be put etc.. etc.. 

    The question still stands, is there a way for the end user to find out where some money have entered their account from? Be it from someone they know, or otherwise.
    Despite the flippant earlier response, I do agree that it's not an unreasonable expectation for incoming transactions to be labelled with sender name, and am surprised that NatWest don't have this in their app - is it shown in online banking and/or on statements?
  • j813ys
    j813ys Posts: 22
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've checked some previous transactions and it appears to show a name as well as non identification references given, so it looks like it might just be a waiting game for the sender name to be added! Still seems like that information could be presented straight away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards