Issues with SSE-OVO Debt

s88urd
s88urd Posts: 2
First Post
hi all,
Just after a bit of advice really.

I was recently with SSE and had a debt on both my electricity and gas supply. They moved me over to prepay meters and I received a letter for both the gas and electric stating that the debt repayment plan would be set up and the debt would be clear by X date. Well this date has arrived and after checking my meters the debt is still there.

I have spoken with OVO (formally SSE) who advised that they 'should' of resetup the repayment schedule but didnt. They also said I should have contacted them to re-set it up, however on the letters it states only to contact them if there is an issue with the amount.

They also said because the letter was from previous to OVO taking over from SSE that it is an SSE issue, and as such have offered me £10 compensation. This doesnt really help when the combined debt is near on £400.

This has caused me alot of stress as I now have this debt lingering over me which (to my knowledge) was being paid off every week with the credit i put on my meter.

I have complained and a manager is 'looking into this' however it seems that they are trying to make out that it is my fault for not contacting them (even though it states nowhere on the letter to)

Where do i stand with this as I have 2 letters both stating the debt would be cleared by a certain date, however this hasnt happened due to a mess up on thier side.

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,123
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 2:11PM
    Legally, unless there are extenuating circumstances, I can't see how you're still not due the debt. But, push for more compensation, and if that's nor forthcoming, take it to the Ombudsman who will probably award you £100 or so.

Use the letter as evidence that you though the debt was being settled via the meter top-ups.
  • s88urd
    s88urd Posts: 2
    First Post
    Legally, unless there are extenuation circumstances, I can't see how you're still not due the debt. But, push for more compensation, and if that's nor forthcoming, take it to the Ombudsman who will probably award you £100 or so.

Use the letter as evidence that you though the debt was being settled via the meter top-ups.
    Thankyou, that is what we are doing. It clearly states the payment plan would be reinstated, and it has caused my fiance alot of stress as suddenly we still have a £400 debt which we thought would be cleared by now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback