Universal Credit

Hi All
So at the moment my adult son lives with me and I claim working tax credit as a single person. None of his details are ever asked for. 
My partner and myself are due to live together in the next couple of months with my son joining us too. I understand that my single claim will then become a joint one but my partner says that my sons income will have an affect on our claim. I cannot see it will if it hasn't for me the past 4 or so years!
Can anyone shed any light on this and does a Universal Credit claim differ from a Tax Credit claim as I am assuming that is what I will get moved across to.
Thank you in advance for any advice/hints and tips!

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,100
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your adult son's income will not be counted in your UC claim (single or joint)
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,301
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not necessarily true, in some circumstances there maybe a non dependant deduction, how old is your son and what is his income?  Working?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • sammyjammy
    Forumite
    You won't get moved over to Universal Credit you will need to make a claim for UC as will your partner, then your claims will be linked together.
  • Maz74
    Maz74 Posts: 4
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi HillStreetBlues
    Thank you for your reply. My partner was convinced that they would take my sons income in consideration with ours, which then started to put doubts in my mind!
  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not necessarily true, in some circumstances there maybe a non dependant deduction, how old is your son and what is his income?  Working?
    A NDD is for the son simply living there, not what his income is.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 12:06PM
    Income doesn't matter with UC  only HB as it's a set rate under UC
    There might be deduction on the claim  but income  has no bearing.

• sammyjammy
    Forumite

It does matter as dependant on what the income son has is made up of (if he has one) they maybe exempt from a deduction, for example he maybe receiving carers allowance, be away in the forces etc.
  • HillStreetBlues
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 1:14PM

It does matter as dependant on what the income son has is made up of (if he has one) they maybe exempt from a deduction, for example he maybe receiving carers allowance, be away in the forces etc.
    It's still nothing to do with income, it's what age or what benefits that person might be on.
    If a person get CA then there in no deduction, it doesn't matter how much money (income) CA pays.

It will make it confusing to OP  trying to use a convoluted way to  asking about income, when it's just better to ask if they are on certain benefits
    (you asked about his income, not what his income was based on)

A guide here https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants

Universal Credit

Under Universal Credit rules there is a flat rate contribution (deduction) each month regardless of the non-dependant's income, for 2023/24 this is £85.73 a month.

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,742
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Maz74 said:
    Hi All
    So at the moment my adult son lives with me and I claim working tax credit as a single person. None of his details are ever asked for. 
    My partner and myself are due to live together in the next couple of months with my son joining us too. I understand that my single claim will then become a joint one but my partner says that my sons income will have an affect on our claim. I cannot see it will if it hasn't for me the past 4 or so years!
    Can anyone shed any light on this and does a Universal Credit claim differ from a Tax Credit claim as I am assuming that is what I will get moved across to.
    Thank you in advance for any advice/hints and tips!

If you live with your partner in the future your Tax credits will end. You will then both need to make a claim for UC, whether there's any entitlement will depend on your joint circumstances.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,228
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And just to prove the reverse.  My 19 Yr old son lives with me, since the end of his contract in October he has been claiming UC.  His claim does not take into account either mine or my wife’s wage or my pension.

Akin to your claim not taking into account his income.  If you transition from WTC to UC before your partner moves in, when they do it will be a change in circumstances and you will loose any transitional rights/protection applied to your UC.   Obviously if you do get the notification of transition, your TC stops at the end of the three months and it is up to you to claim UC.  It is not automatically done. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills