Dodgy Buyer?

Sold a Laptop Battery on Ebay. It arrived today and the buyer has already been in contact to say that the Battery Health is showing as poor. (He included a screenshot, but no evidence it's the battery I sent)

He asked if I could send him a replacement, which I agreed to. He then said he is away travelling so cannot send the 'faulty' battery back and would rather I just partially refund him.

Is it worth speaking to Ebay about this before I agree to anything?

Comments

• se2020
    se2020 Posts: 375
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He either gets a replacement or a refund/partial refund.  Not both. 

The battery health check will show the serial number as well but that's not much use unless you checked it and made a note of the number before sending?

I'd send him a message saying as he's travelling he won't be able to receive or test (or use) the replacement so to contact you when he returns and you will provide a label to return the old one...
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,193
    Forumite
    If he can receive the parcel while he's away travelling why can he not also send post?

Dodgy indeed.
  • red_boots2
    red_boots2 Posts: 84
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks both. I have asked him how he would have been able to get the replacement battery if he couldn't send the old one back.

The photo he sent of the battery health doesn't show the serial number and also states that only a original Dell battery should be used, which this isn't. The photo he sent me of the battery itself doesn't have any serial numbers etc on display... What a coincidence... 
  • se2020
    se2020 Posts: 375
    Forumite
    Did you test it before sending or could it be possible that it is in poor health?
  • GadgetGuru
    GadgetGuru Posts: 588
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ask him for an image of the health with the serial number showing - even if you haven’t recorded the serial before sending, it may make him think you did, and hence think twice with regards to his next steps……
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,329
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 January at 9:18AM
    I'd ask for a return to be opened, swallow the £3 odd for the label, get the battery back, refund the buyer and then block them. 

You may have the option to reduce the refund on the return flow when refunding which should only be used to cover any value lost as a result of the buyer's excessive handling.

In terms of the return label, if the battery comes back and is good you can report the buyer, eBay say they'll credit the postage label but I don't have much faith in them. 

The policy is detailed here, it's probably worded better than I have above!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,908
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'd ask for a return to be opened, swallow the £3 odd for the label, get the battery back, refund the buyer and then block them. 

You may have the option to reduce the refund on the return flow when refunding which should only be used to cover any value lost as a result of the buyer's excessive handling.

In terms of the return label, if the battery comes back and is good you can report the buyer, eBay say they'll credit the postage label but I don't have much faith in them. 

The policy is detailed here, it's probably worded better than I have above!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-protection-policy?id=4345
    I agree, keep it simple.

Just ask buyer to open a SNAD request and tell them you will send a label, basically call their bluff. They either then send it back or keep it. Make sure you do everything via the eBay SNAD case route as if it does come back you get your FVFs returned. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • red_boots2
    red_boots2 Posts: 84
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks all.

Yes - it maybe possible the battery is faulty and will happily refund / exchange if it is.

I asked him how he was going to get the replacement battery if he was travelling. He then claimed he forgot and doesn't go until the end of the week, which would have been plenty of time to get a new one to him.

He's now said he wants to keep and test the current one he has and get back to me, if he does come back I shall suggest the above and that he opens a SNAD.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,193
    Forumite
    Thanks all.

Yes - it maybe possible the battery is faulty and will happily refund / exchange if it is.

I asked him how he was going to get the replacement battery if he was travelling. He then claimed he forgot and doesn't go until the end of the week, which would have been plenty of time to get a new one to him.

He's now said he wants to keep and test the current one he has and get back to me, if he does come back I shall suggest the above and that he opens a SNAD.
    Wut.

'well dodge', as they would say round here!  Definitely worth reporting to eBay for trying it on, whatever he does actually decide to do.
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 145
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yep, clearly gouging for a partial refund, obvious from the info in your OP even before you got out of him that he'd lied about going away! The 'poor' battery health report he's sent you will most likely be from the knackered battery he bought yours to replace.

He just wants to re-negotiate the price after the deal has been done, so refund in full on return of the item and then block him. You might find that, having tried his luck, he decides to keep it anyway.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback