Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Missing Charity Box

Options
DrDeejUK
DrDeejUK Posts: 17 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Recently my dad passed away and at his funeral we had a charity box that my mom had to pay for from the funeral directors. The funeral directors took the charity box to the funeral and took donations at the funeral. After the funeral somebody (member of the family) took the box to the wake. However, after that we don't know where it went. I don't even know who was responsible for it. My mom has been in touch with the funeral directors today to find out what happened to the box and they are claiming they don't know anything and whatever happened to the box is nothing to do with them. I'd like to know what to do next as I'm not sure myself what to do. Would this be a police matter now as money has gone missing that can't be accounted for? Any info appreciated.

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January at 4:29PM
    Options
    DrDeejUK said:
    Recently my dad passed away and at his funeral we had a charity box that my mom had to pay for from the funeral directors. The funeral directors took the charity box to the funeral and took donations at the funeral. After the funeral somebody (member of the family) took the box to the wake. However, after that we don't know where it went. I don't even know who was responsible for it. My mom has been in touch with the funeral directors today to find out what happened to the box and they are claiming they don't know anything and whatever happened to the box is nothing to do with them. I'd like to know what to do next as I'm not sure myself what to do. Would this be a police matter now as money has gone missing that can't be accounted for? Any info appreciated.
    Given that, by your own account, it wasn't in the funeral directors possession why would they know where it is?

Unless you have good reason to believe that somebody has acted dishonestly, rather than just carelessly, it is difficult to see the police getting involved. Obviously you can report it, if you so wish, but it is hard to see much happening without rather more evidence.

Presumably with this "charity box" you have no real idea how much money may have been in it? 

Surely with something like this, if any significant amount was likely to be involved, one know individual should have taken charge of this collection?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It does sound like a family member may have possibly inadvertently taken it with them from the wake .  I know that when my husband died the funeral directors provided a box for donations which was free of charge. They made it very clear that they weren't responsible for it and it was up to me to keep it safe. 
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd start by asking around the family ... Not accusing but just asking if anyone knows where it went.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • irdam
    irdam Posts: 2 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good luck! Hope you will find someone who knows something about the box
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Who is the someone who took it to the wake?

What did they do with it at the wake?

Have you asked the premises where the wake was held if they found it?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback