PRA Group help (DMP) Barclaycard

2»

Comments

• tigergambit
    tigergambit Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January at 9:45AM
    How quickly did everyone hear from PRA? Barclaycard told me the debt had been sold to them in September and I’m still waiting her hear from them?
    My DMP started August 2022 and Barclays had defaulted me and passed me on to PRA by the end of the year. Letters from Barclays and PRA advising transfer came within days of each other and payments via PayPlan transferred across.

Regarding the CCA I wrote to PRA in late July 2023, they acknowledged by return but didn't reply until late October. They replied that they were enclosing the requested documents but strangely what they supplied was a copy of my statements, not the CCA. I pointed this out to them when they made a follow-up call and they said they had the CCA and would forward it within 30 days but until they did the debt was unenforceable. 11 weeks later and I haven't heard from them so I'm just keeping quiet.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 874 Forumite
    edited 17 January at 10:31AM
    myself and wife both went with step change in December 2021, we went on breathing space for 2 months.
    by February 2022, we got default notices from Barclaycard, as we had  credit card debts there. we then got a letter that Barclaycard had sold out debts to PRA, in February.

we continued our dmp with stepchange and payments went to PRA.

we stopped the dmp in October 2023 with step change and did one by ourselves.

we wrote CCA letters to pra in October. they replied with a CCA agreement for me in November ,but failed to provide other documents, eg statements, so they classed the debt as unenforceable.

my wife got a letter as well in January stating they can't find anything,  our debts are Barclaycard credit cards opened the same time in 2011, she got told her debt is unenforceable.

we have made no payments to them since October and they don't hassle us.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • I requested the CCA as soon as PRA acquired the debt, they wrote back saying they were waiting for it, so i never paid them anything. Six years passed and now it is statute barred. During that time they phoned me regularly, but i blocked their number and ignored their emails and letters. best thing, saved me 5000 . I suspect i will start hearing from them again soon so i may just tell them to @$*% off now.
  • ldn83
    ldn83 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Just curious to know, if you stop paying creditors initially whilst waiting for default to enter into a self DMP, can the original debt holder (eg Barclaycard) simply go for a CCJ to get you to pay up or to get a response from you or do they always sell off the debt and default and then the debt buyer (eg PRA) then threaten court action? Thanks.
  • stu12345_2
    edited 17 January at 12:34PM
    from what i know a creditor can't do anything serious until you get a default on your account.
    at that point you communicate with them, either to set up a payment arrangement. or ask for a CCA to slow things down( as payments  stop , account on hold, when you request a CCA) being  until they prove the debt is legal. you could ask for the CCA agreement at anytime , even before default..

( the CCA request works best if the debt is old and been sold on, as more chance it can't be found)

only after default and everything is proven to be legit and you refuse to make a payment, or communicate with them, then they can go after you. but I read it could take a year before it ever goes to court.

yes the original lender could do it. or the debt company that bought the debt
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • ldn83
    ldn83 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    from what i know a creditor can't do anything serious until you get a default on your account.
    at that point you communicate with them, either to set up a payment arrangement. or ask for a CCA to slow things down( as payments  stop , account on hold, when you request a CCA) being  until they prove the debt is legal. you could ask for the CCA agreement at anytime , even before default..

( the CCA request works best if the debt is old and been sold on, as more chance it can't be found)

only after default and everything is proven to be legit and you refuse to make a payment, or communicate with them, then they can go after you. but I read it could take a year before it ever goes to court.

yes the original lender could do it. or the debt company that bought the debt
    Great bit of info there, thank you.
  • Does anyone have a link to the CCA request letter please? 
  • stu12345_2
    edited 17 January at 3:10PM
     the bottom link by national  debtline has a template CCA request letter link inside the link, which you use to fill in the blanks, that is what I used. worth a read imo

BUT here is the direct CCA request sample letter link for speed

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sample-letters/information-about-your-agreement-under-consumer-credit-act/

I got most of my info from debt camel  site,run by  a CAB volunteer  called Sarah, you can also  ask her questions on her site, a great debt info site, like MSE, you email and wait a reply.

this debt camel  link is in 2 parts  has a further debt camel cca link about halfway in the article, once open scroll back to the top and start , basically all you ever wanted to know about CCA requests

( she suggests keep paying for approx 3 months max whilst they search for your CCA, but it's not needed as most accounts are put on hold anyway when you request)( as she thinks 3 months is probably the max time to give them if they are going to find it)

and has a national debt line CCA link too

once you get to end of article at the bottom you can see all the questions and answers she has given to folk emailing her. your email address is never revealed if you write to her

https://debtcamel.co.uk/ask-cca-agreement-for-debt/#How_can_you_tell_if_it_is_right

and
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fact-sheet-library/credit-agreements-getting-information-ew/
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ldn83 said:
    Just curious to know, if you stop paying creditors initially whilst waiting for default to enter into a self DMP, can the original debt holder (eg Barclaycard) simply go for a CCJ to get you to pay up or to get a response from you or do they always sell off the debt and default and then the debt buyer (eg PRA) then threaten court action? Thanks.
    They can't take any legal action against you until they have defaulted you. The default notice is your last chance to get your account up to date before they default you and are able to take legal action. In practice virtually all of the time they will just sell the debt to a DCA instead of taking legal action, and you can just set up a payment plan with them.

Barclaycard were brilliant with me. They defaulted within a few months of my DMP starting, and backdated the default to the day they first heard from Stepchange so my credit record was harmed for the least amount of time. When they sent the default notice they enclosed a covering letter telling me not to worry and just carry on making my arranged payments.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback