Carers credit form - other information

Options
Hi

I'm looking to apply for carers credit and looking at the form there is a section titled 'other information'. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of claiming and what if anything they included in this section. I care for both mom and dad who are both in receipt of Attendance Allowance. Mom is the one who needs most help as she suffers from Alzheimer's. I've only just realised I'm eligible for this as I assumed I would need to be spending at least 20 hours at their home but now realise the other stuff I do for them also counts. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is mom or dad getting pension credits?  I think there's something that if you get carer's allowance they might lose this.  Best to check before applying.  

Ah but I've clocked you're after carer's credit which is different.....

I've submitted carer's allowance applications which are different but I believe what you should do on the other info bit is state why your parents need help and then just a point form about what help you are providing.  So Mom has alzheimers and dad can't cope with all this does to their household.  So you help with cooking, cleaning, assisting getting them both to/from appointments, take them on outings, do their shopping, sit with Mom so dad can go out with his mate without worrying etc. You might want to tot up how much time all of this takes you - but maybe not include the actual times in your submission.

When submitting these forms it's always essential to be truthful but don't make things rosier than they actually are.  So don't say that they don't always need your help but rather that you need to be available for emergencies as well as doing x, y, z because you don't know on any given day what Mom's going to be like.  And that the need is increasing rather than decreasing given the nature of your Mom's health.  

Keep a copy of it so that you know what you said should they come back and ask any questions.

Good luck - it's a difficult situation when you reach this point and the "parenting" is reversed.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • sheffieldeagle
    sheffieldeagle Posts: 548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
    I'm never sure what to do when they have a section like this on a form without any question. Much prefer a tick box.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback