How to felt a knitted Poppy

Options
sammyjammy
sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
As the title says I have knitted a poppy, its lovely but a bit big and I thought it might look nice felted, is there a good way to do this?  I've put a cardigan in a too hot washing machine before which came out felted is it as easy as that?  Everything  I get when I try and google it is related to creating felt for use from strands of wool
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January at 1:41PM
    Options
    Felting will only work with woollen items

I used the following method for felting with wool rovings but I think it should work with a knitted piece too. The aim is to get the fibres to matt together.

If I remember correctly you can do this on a table or work surface  covered in plastic (a bin bag) then use a large  piece of bubble wrap.. Lay your poppy on top, squirt with small amount of hottish water & washing up liquid and rub against the bubble wrap. As you agitate it the fibres should start to felt . Wearing a textured rubber glove would speed this up. Maybe a bubble wrap 'sandwich' with poppy between.

Another way you could try is to tack it between a couple of pieces of fabric and then put in a hot wash with other items when using the machine normally. I've just seen a YouTube with knitted bags felted this way.

just had a  thought that maybe you need to tack your poppy between fabric before using the bubble wrap too....sorry  I can't remember!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you, thats really helpful.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,697 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've definitely felted smallish items without a bowl/bucket/sink of water. The reason I remember is because the place the class was taking place did not have those facilities. It was all done on the table top.
    Bubble wrap, towel, old bamboo blind- all those items will create friction
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback