saniflow

Hi all

I wondered if someone can advise

I rent and I have a saniflow which does the shower / bath / sink and toilet.

Every month or so it seems to play up. I can absolutely guarantee I've not put anything down it that would block it.

I can hear the macerator and I can see that the waste coming back is being cut up but it isn't leaving the system.

I can't tell if using a toilet 5 times a day is a lot or if there's something inherently wrong with the system?

It started not cutting in (pump) a few days ago but would then come on. I honestly am tired of reporting to my landlord. I feel like I've done something wrong because it's only me using it.

What could I be doing wrong? Do they need to be treated so substantially different to a normal toilet?

I can say, with absolute certainty, I've only had waste and toilet paper down it.

Thankyou all, my next option is to find somewhere else unfortunately, the place is perfect for me otherwise!

Cheers

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 364
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My mother had a Saniflo in an en-suite and it was often not working properly.   It sounds like the motor or macerator needs attention.
     If your landlord is ignoring the problem it could be because not all plumbers are willing to work on them because they can be very unpleasant to dismantle,  hence expensive to fix.  It could well be a blockage  caused by a  less careful tenant but you have every right to expect working sanitation.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They should be serviced every year, the rubber seal can get flabby and needs replacing.  

Either way, if there's a problem then the engineer will find it. 

We used to use Pumpmaster for our old house.  Very friendly and efficient.  
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Taz174
    Taz174 Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My mother had a Saniflo in an en-suite and it was often not working properly.   It sounds like the motor or macerator needs attention.
     If your landlord is ignoring the problem it could be because not all plumbers are willing to work on them because they can be very unpleasant to dismantle,  hence expensive to fix.  It could well be a blockage  caused by a  less careful tenant but you have every right to expect working sanitation.
    Getting it sorted is easy with my landlord, but it's the third time in 3 months, and I'm kinda tired of it now. There must be something wrong with it to keep doing the same thing.

• Taz174
    Taz174 Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They should be serviced every year, the rubber seal can get flabby and needs replacing.  

Either way, if there's a problem then the engineer will find it. 

We used to use Pumpmaster for our old house.  Very friendly and efficient.  

Thanks for this. I don't think it gets serviced regularly. The previous tenant I'm pretty sure didn't have the same issues. But it does look old and probably needs replacing for new now.

Just a bit tiring as I look to blame each time!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,327
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Who has been repairing it? I mean is this an ordinary plumber, or someone trained on Saniflo?  

As DG says, there’s a valve on the outlet and if that fails it might give the symptoms you described.

If you go on the Saniflo website they have a list of engineers in your area. It might be cheaper for your landlord to get a good engineer once than keeping on paying for the present chap. 

We had one replaced in MIL's bungalow and it was not all that expensive. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,982
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    My stopped working and it turned out to be blocked  - you can buy a macerator cleaning fluid that you pour in and leave for a couple of hours - I do this regularly now   and all good so far
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback