How often do you win?

Options

Comments

• stubrown55
    stubrown55 Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    like most of the others I used to win several each year when I started on here 14 years ago, but wins have dried up with only 1 in in both 2021 & 2022 and NONE last year
    i remember someone on here quoting about 1 win for 4000 entries when I started but nowhere near this for me nowadays - I do only enter for something I or my family would want/use
    2018 wins : kids tennis set (WOW!)2019 wins - Thank God for TCB - a 10p and a 20p win 2020 - Bettys hamper - very nice, a notebook 2021 - £100 Jacks voucher (Jan)2022 - Bottle of Kiss ginMany many thousands of Twitter and IG entries without a sniff of a prize 2023 NOTHING b]just 1 win in last 40 months!!![/b]
  • ARobbo1972
    Options
    I started comping just over 2 months ago when I found an online competition while browsing. This was the first site I entered comps from before branching out to many others. I have been putting a few hours a day entering hundreds religiously daily since 13/11/23. I have only been entering online comps and not ventured in to social media comps yet. Still a bit unsure on the hurst magazine daily’s as they were taking about an hour a day to enter all 13 magazines I have bookmarked as some have 30+ each. I stopped doing them then I won so started again lol.
    I would love to know others opinions on Hurst magazine daily’s as it seems a lot of repetitive effort for little results.

Win history so far..
    23/11/23 - Piglets Pantry hampers worth about £120 (Ridgeway)
    07/12/23 - Mattel games bundle worth £100 (The Sun)
    03/01/23 - £50 Bundle of Nature’s Variety Dog Food (Hurst daily Good Housekeeping)

I have now stopped entering comps which have prizes that are not relevant to me. My last win the dog food got donated to the RSPCA as I don’t even have a dog lol…

loving the fact it keeps me occupied when I have down time during the day.
  • EnglishWelshie
    EnglishWelshie Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I started comping just over 2 months ago when I found an online competition while browsing. This was the first site I entered comps from before branching out to many others. I have been putting a few hours a day entering hundreds religiously daily since 13/11/23. I have only been entering online comps and not ventured in to social media comps yet. Still a bit unsure on the hurst magazine daily’s as they were taking about an hour a day to enter all 13 magazines I have bookmarked as some have 30+ each. I stopped doing them then I won so started again lol.
    I would love to know others opinions on Hurst magazine daily’s as it seems a lot of repetitive effort for little results.

Win history so far..
    23/11/23 - Piglets Pantry hampers worth about £120 (Ridgeway)
    07/12/23 - Mattel games bundle worth £100 (The Sun)
    03/01/23 - £50 Bundle of Nature’s Variety Dog Food (Hurst daily Good Housekeeping)

I have now stopped entering comps which have prizes that are not relevant to me. My last win the dog food got donated to the RSPCA as I don’t even have a dog lol…

loving the fact it keeps me occupied when I have down time during the day.
    I've done really well with the mag dailies. My first win in 2015 with them was a weeks summer holiday to Chamonix I only entered that one the once and the magazine is no longer running. My total since starting to do the mag dailies back in 2015 is 26 wins 5 of those were last year. I have also had a couple of years with nothing but I had taken a break from comping then. I bookmark the ones I enter using the mse links and just go through them a magazine at a time.

I used to win 2 or 3 times a week but these days it is probably 2 or 3 a month. I do enjoy my comping hobby as it has given me some fantastic experiences and I have made lots of memories from some of my wins.
  • Katxx2023
    Katxx2023 Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I entered the win a Tesco shop last year and by chance won it…my very first comp (from their emailed newsletter). I know it was beginners luck but since then I am hooked, spend at least an hour or more a day in the hope of winning but I know nothing is guaranteed.  It’s the fun of it really. Fingers crossed for my first forum win x 
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joolski said:
      Really, for anyone who has been doing comps for many years, it becomes a habit to do it daily, like cleaning your teeth, etc!

I am from that generation of compers too. I recognise some names on this thread that are long etched in my mind. We were so blessed with all the wonderful wins over the years. Last year, I was quite ill and did begin to feel I had weaned myself off comping. However by the advent comps I was in full swing again. As you say, much is habit. I do wonder if influencers are now the people who enjoy the glorious goodies that were comp prizes. 

I am grateful for the time I had, for the fun and the camaraderie with other compers as much as the prizes. I probably wont give up completely, but other interests will take up the majority of my free time.  
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • fizzly
    fizzly Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am interested in the concept of luck and how it affects people, whether you can change it etc. I consider myself unlucky v my friends on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, as I see them winning far more regularly than I do. This is even when entering the same competitions and having a similar number of tags. Randomness doesn’t mean fairness, but it seems odd how great the disparity is between all of them and me.
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    i seem to do well on the mag dailys but don't do all 30 ish on them only ones i want. Think they are bauer media though

• EnglishWelshie
    EnglishWelshie Posts: 3,403 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    janE1956 said:
    i seem to do well on the mag dailys but don't do all 30 ish on them only ones i want. Think they are bauer media though

They are Hearst magazines  :)
  • Harebelle
    Harebelle Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    In the distant past, I was always waiting for at least 10 prizes to arrive and the sale of some of them kept me in groceries, but most recently I have had probably 6 or 8 decent wins over 18 months, and I have been concentrating on the 'better' prizes. Getting fed up with so few wins, I have now gone back to also doing the lower value but still useful section and some toiletries and foodstuffs have come my way recently. Still, in short, things aint what they used to be!
  • Buttercup
    Buttercup Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been comping for more than 30years and like others seen so many changes. I had fantastic prizes in the early years when slogans was popular and entry forms, I have had to adapt to social media at first finding it difficult but soon got into to swing of it  they are easier to enter and harder to win! I tend to win a couple of prizes a month sometimes more never a blank month for many years. I could not give up comping its now part of my DNA I find it keeps my mind active and during the loss of a family member getting straight back into took my mind of my loss. I have a go at everything in moderation Web/Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Text and purchase necessary like another poster quoted it just like cleaning my teeth its now part of my daily life good luck to all 
    Sarah x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure