Is it possible to sell on Ebay for profit and just let Ebay deduct tax at standard rate from all sal

Is it possible to sell on Ebay for profit and just let Ebay deduct tax at standard rate from all sales. Just like they make all other deductions?
Or is that too easy?
Does it have to involve 1000000 hours of tax payers money to calculate tax annually at £23.08

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,271
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Problem is that ebay doesn't know if you have to pay tax or not.  I would but my OH wouldn't.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,308
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I don't see how keeping a spreadsheet with sales totals would take 1000000 hours
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £126.70 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,226
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gobsh said:
    Is it possible to sell on Ebay for profit and just let Ebay deduct tax at standard rate from all sales. Just like they make all other deductions?
    Or is that too easy?
    Does it have to involve 1000000 hours of tax payers money to calculate tax annually at £23.08

Paying tax on sales rather than on profit seems like a very poor business model. 
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,865
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 12 January at 2:40PM
    Gobsh said:
    Or is that too easy?
    Self employed income cannot even remotely be compared to PAYE and I certainly wouldn't be happy having my margin rate of tax and NI being taken from all my sales! 

Also I don't see how you think this is going to take millions of hours of HMRC man power, they certainly don't have that sort of staff and of course nothing at all has changed tax and reporting wise and for the past 30 years or so it has all been computerised. . The seller prepares accounts, submits them and if you do it online it takes HMRC computers about 6 seconds to provide you with a tax summary showing the tax you need to pay- I doubt whether a real person has even looked at my self assessment form in years. I have absolutely no interaction with a live person at all - I do my accounts, see what tax if any is due, and then make a payment.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 9,985
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gobsh said:

That's not happening. I'm assuming you're referring to Ebay and others sending info to HMRC. HMRC have said they're not doing anything new. They've long since worked out that there's not much money in investigating little sellers. Self assessment is called that for a reason. They rely on most people being honest, which, surprisingly, they are.

• Gobsh
    Gobsh Posts: 99
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Problem is that ebay doesn't know if you have to pay tax or not.  I would but my OH wouldn't.  
    That's not a problem, it's an option you could choose, declare and pay tax at full rate, or not
  • Gobsh
    Forumite
    If you don't see the problem I can't help it

I don't see how keeping a spreadsheet with sales totals would take 1000000 hours

• Gobsh
    Forumite
    Absolutely not. Spending 100s hour calculating you owe £28 tax is a poor business model

Gobsh said:
    Or is that too easy?

Paying tax on sales rather than on profit seems like a very poor business model. 

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 9,985
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gobsh said:
    Absolutely not. Spending 100s hour calculating you owe £28 tax is a poor business model

Gobsh said:
    Or is that too easy?

Two things there.

Consumers do already, mostly, pay tax on sales. That's VAT. It isn't a small tax either. I do agree it's a poor business model. I'd be quite wealthy if I didn't have to bother with it.

The other point is one I made earlier that no one is spending 100s of hours calculating you owing anything. The info gets bunged in a computer and stays there. Every so often they check one to make sure it's right. Some poor !!!!!! gets a headache for a week or two and then they go on their way. Been there, done that!

I'd actually welcome a simpler tax system that just taxed money in and money out. Surely the government have an idea how much money is spent in the country and how much they need in taxes. Just get all the banks, etc who handle the money to divvy it up. It's never going to happen as they need to make tax as confusing as possible so no one works out how much we're actually paying and how much they're spending.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback