Legal cover

Hi I have my home and contents insured but chose not to have legal cover. The insurance was renewed in December. However we have been getting letters from the local council and we might have seek legal advice. If I get legal cover added now, as no legal proceedings have been mentioned yet will it be considered as a new case and covered by the insurance or will they take it fro the very first letter even though legal proceedings haven’t been mentioned yet? 

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You are already aware that you might need legal advice.  You know that there is a reasonable chance of upcoming legal proceedings.  The insurer may, at the time of making a claim, decide that you are not covered for these reasons.
    Having said that, I always include legal cover when I buy home insurance.  It might add £20 to your premium but I think it's good value.  My advice would be to add legal cover regardless of whether they will cover your current issue with the council
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,537
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    7136 said:
    Hi I have my home and contents insured but chose not to have legal cover. The insurance was renewed in December. However we have been getting letters from the local council and we might have seek legal advice. If I get legal cover added now, as no legal proceedings have been mentioned yet will it be considered as a new case and covered by the insurance or will they take it fro the very first letter even though legal proceedings haven’t been mentioned yet? 
    It really depends.
    Sometimes legal advice over the phone is free and it's the cover for legal fees that might be an issue.
    But it all depends on definitions and dates.
    I am looking at a flight delay compensation claim and the date for the contract is in a different policy year to the flights but for a breach of contract claim it's the date the contract was formed that matters.

Also depends on whether you are talking about advice or cover (actual payment of legal fees).
    I've had free advice over the phone before without them checking dates and whether it's covered.
    If you wanted legal fees covered then they'd go through it will a fine tooth comb but may give initial general advice over the phone for free without the spanish inquisition.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    7136 said:
    The general rule is you cannot bet on a race thats already run, so if you know you have a problem then its too late to start considering insurance.

LE cover in relation to home is made up of two parts. The first is a broad coverage helpline which you can talk in general terms on a wide range of topics, it doesn't include them reviewing paperwork or drafting letters etc. For this part of the service dates are rarely checked. 

What is supposed to be the core of the product is them instructing a solicitor to act for you on a particular matter. Note that this part typically only covers certain types of dispute like employment or consumer rights and is much narrower in its coverage. It, unlike the helpline, is also assessed if the dates align to the policy dates. 

You don't say what the topic of the issue is with the council to be able to comment if its likely the average LE cover would cover it in part II but ultimately you'd need to check your own policy as coverage does vary. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback