Car Hire

We want to hire a car from Malaga airport and have heard that many of these companies levee a huge excess on the insurance.  What companies should I avoid , or which are recommended?

All advice welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BungalowBel
    BungalowBel Posts: 192
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If it is of any importance , the main driver will be 75 when we hire the car.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We want to hire a car from Malaga airport and have heard that many of these companies levee a huge excess on the insurance.  What companies should I avoid , or which are recommended?
    All hire car companies have high excesses on the insurance which then enables them to sell CDW and Super CDW to reduce/eliminate the excess. Alternatively you can buy a much cheaper standalone excess cover policy separately but 1) you have to pay the excess before then reclaiming it and 2) there can be certain challenges such as getting the repair documentation from the hire company.

If you do go down the standalone route then don't mention it to the hire company, it just opens another line of argument for them as to why you should buy their product (too), instead just stick firm to the fact you know what the excess is and are comfortable with it. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,251
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    I'd recommend asking the question on the Malaga Tripadvisor forum, and/or read that forum as there are bound to be comments about rental companies there.
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,087
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Alternatively just pay the standard insurance that most car hire companies offer and then don’t crash it. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,391
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Trya  quote from zestcarrental.com

UK based and all insurances included in quotes,  Its a few years since I used them, but always good service.
  • BungalowBel
    BungalowBel Posts: 192
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you all for your advice.
  • Bonhomie
    Bonhomie Posts: 242
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 January at 12:19AM
    daveyjp said:
    Trya  quote from zestcarrental.com

UK based and all insurances included in quotes,  Its a few years since I used them, but always good service.
    OP should take note that with some(most) providers within your link, there will still be a deposit in excess of 1000 Euros. The excess reimbursement insurance provided only provides for you to reclaim your losses after the car rental company snatches the deposit.
    A few will have an actual excess waiver....which is quite different from excess reimbursement insurance. But with both, you still need to read the small print to see what isn't covered and also to note the fuel policy. Some will charge you for the fuel in the tank and only give that money back if they deem that you have returned it with a full tank. Caveat emptor.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback