Selling a car with a fault - ok or no?

2»

Comments

• CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ganga said:
    Tell us what car it is ,make and model and some one might tell you what the fault is causing the battery to discharge.
    bet its French.....
    Nope.....Italian
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Ganga said:
    Tell us what car it is ,make and model and some one might tell you what the fault is causing the battery to discharge.
    bet its French.....
    Nope.....Italian
    Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat share components, is it a Fiat? (PSA group)

If its a Ferrari or Maserati its a bigger bill THOUGH, ive seen  PSA cars scrapped due to wiring/electronic issues where the bits and labour exceeded the value of the car (if you can get the parts)
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    tonygold said:
    Thank you for the responses

I am going to be completely honest - as far as I can be, not knowing what the fault is.  I'm not looking to rip anyone off, I would be p***** if someone lied to me about the condition of a used car I was buying, so I'm not prepared to do that to someone else.

@BoGoF It's both.  When the car runs, it's perfect, no issues at all. 
    The problem is that whatever this fault is, the battery is draining intermittently and for no reason that anyone has been able to find so far.  But get it jump started and it's tickety boo again and runs perfect, hence why I do not want to simply scrap it - it could be a lovely car for someone  
    ETA: I wanted to part-ex ideally but no-one wanted to take it with the fault unfortunately

that sounds like something is draining the battery when the car is parked up. I have known an interior light or an interior boot light to stay on after the car is parked up. That could certainly produce the issues you are experiencing.
    indeed it does  

assuming the battery is in decent condition it's worth looking for  what the  quiescent loads are when the vehicle is fully 'shut down' ...  ideally having  found out what the typical quiescent load is. 

unfortunately there are some vehicles with poorly specified batteries  where even a few more milliamps of quiescent load if the vehicle is left  for a week or two bettwen decent runs  means it'll sturggle to get the cranking  amps 
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Ganga said:
    bet its French.....
    Nope.....Italian
    You could give the make, model and year on here, or find an owners forum for your car. It may well be that there are specific likely culprits. 
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Parasitic battery draws can be a pain to find especially if intermittent but not impossible, however if the garage winged it or rushed it?

Just spent a while tracking down and fixing the same type of fault on a friends car. Time consuming but the internet view was it's a main dealer job @ £1500-1800+parts+vat!

I would have bought the vehicle in a flash because he just wanted to 'get rid of it'.
    It would've been the bargain of the century!
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • CurlySue2017
    CurlySue2017 Posts: 462 Forumite
    fred990 said:
    Parasitic battery draws can be a pain to find especially if intermittent but not impossible, however if the garage winged it or rushed it?

Just spent a while tracking down and fixing the same type of fault on a friends car. Time consuming but the internet view was it's a main dealer job @ £1500-1800+parts+vat!

I would have bought the vehicle in a flash because he just wanted to 'get rid of it'.
    It would've been the bargain of the century!
    This is the kind of buyer I'm hoping for!

To all the other posters suggesting looking online for a fix, I have done that.  I've spent months on forums, trawling for information, speaking to dealerships.  It's been in the garage more than once and to be honest, I have neither the time nor money to spend on it anymore. 
    I appreciate the responses, but I'm not looking for a fix, that ship has sailed for me. 
    But as this poster says, if I could shift it to someone "in the know" they would have themselves a bargain!  That someone is just not me.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback