being on benefits and travelling abroad.



  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
     (if claiming HB you might have to return to property for a day to show that you are still living there, but unsure of this)
    DM guide to HB
    3.460 any return to the normal home which is a genuine re‑occupation of the home will end a
    period of temporary absence. If the period of the return is short, you will need evidence
    to prove the stay was genuine. Whether the stay is genuine is a question of judgement.
    For example, a stay lasting only a few hours may not be acceptable but one that lasts at
    least 24 hours may be acceptable. It all depends on the facts of the case. If the stay is not
    considered genuine, the temporary absence will not have stopped. Note: Do not treat a
    prisoner’s temporary release from prison as a break in absence, see Sentenced prisoners later
    in this chapter

    If you do get housing cost then you should return home for at least a day to end your temporary absence.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards