MSE News: Chancellor to investigate inflation-busting mobile and broadband price hikes

Options
MSE_Petar
MSE_Petar Posts: 333 MSE Staff
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
The Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has committed to investigating mid-contract, above-inflation mobile and broadband price hikes. In an interview with MoneySavingExpert.com founder Martin Lewis, Mr Hunt said he would write to the competition and markets watchdog and "get to the bottom of it".

Read the full story:
''Terrible' inflation-busting mobile and broadband price hikes to be probed by Chancellor after Martin Lewis interview'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Join the queue behind the Post Office 

It's an election year anything could happen while they ( Conservatives fight for survival 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,480 Forumite
    Options
    Thought this was already being investigated by Ofcom?

Anyone would think that it's a election year... And we live in a country with no problems that need sorting.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ian_Leckenby
    Options
    My supplier UPP has been taken over by Virgin Media, they are going to rip up my contract with 30 days notice, so my 24 month fixed fee £30 for 500Mb disappears... but I can have an £87 Virgin box, that will go up again in April ! Same but different as the small suppliers get subsumed :(
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    Options
    I do not understand why people get so worked up about "above inflation" rises, do they take the view that suppliers can never increase margin? Shop around, change supplier, read the contract before signing one with a mid-contract rise. 
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I do not understand why people get so worked up about "above inflation" rises, do they take the view that suppliers can never increase margin? Shop around, change supplier, read the contract before signing one with a mid-contract rise. 
    I don’t get it either. My mobile phone bill has been £8pm for 4 years. After 12 months, O2 increase it.  So all I do is go back on USwitch, pick the exact same contract at £8 and sign up. Takes 5 minutes. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst I don't get it either as it isn't hard to comprehend, but unfortunately a large number of people either don't think for themselves and check the terms they are signing up to or don't understand them.

For shorter term contracts of 12/18/24 months it would be good to see some of the risk taken by the business and to build the predicted changes into their rates and make it flat for the contract period.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    400ixl said:
    Whilst I don't get it either as it isn't hard to comprehend, but unfortunately a large number of people either don't think for themselves and check the terms they are signing up to or don't understand them.

For shorter term contracts of 12/18/24 months it would be good to see some of the risk taken by the business and to build the predicted changes into their rates and make it flat for the contract period.
    If I take out a fixed term contract, I don't expect to be hit with a mid term increase of an unspecified amount. It help me to budget knowing will be paying exactly the same for the next 18 months. Virgin and others have been able to do it in the past, so why change now....
    That said, did the usual "cancel contract" tango, and Retentions have offered a new contract at a lower price, and even after an RPI+3.9% I should still be paying less. I assume they are still making a profit on what they are charging me, so why sour customer satisfaction with a midterm hike.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    I don’t get it either. My mobile phone bill has been £8pm for 4 years. After 12 months, O2 increase it.  So all I do is go back on USwitch, pick the exact same contract at £8 and sign up. Takes 5 minutes. 
    Which is exactly the issue. They have shown that they are willing to continuing offering new contracts at exactly the same price so the story they spin about having to increase prices in the middle of a contract because their costs have gone up is a load of bull.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure