Legal & General Shares

Options
Hi All

Any opinions of L/G shares, they give a great % dividend so do many feel they are "as safe as houses" as far as one can say about any share. I do prefer to leave them there for the income i get, just need some reassurance?

Comments

• Mikeeee_2
    Mikeeee_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January at 11:42AM
    Options
    LGEN have been around for donkey's years. They are still hugely profitable but their margins have taken a bit of a hit in the last couple of years. Their Solvency II ratio is high which allows them to write new business if needs be, possibly built on purpose. Dividend cover is 1.9 so no major worries about that. They are a safe, solid, well run business that isn't going to grow massively or shoot the lights out. As a solid dividend payer, I have been comfortable picking up shares in the dips around the 200-220p mark.

To me, it's a very boring, low risk stock that trades in a range. That's not a bad thing at all when it comes to high dividend payers like this.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 574 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In my opinion when you invest in an insurance company you're essentially investing in the things that they invest in.  I would say that your investment is very stable as far as shares/bonds are concerned though the value is likely to track the stock market to a degree.

Unless you're predicting a stock market crash, I see no reason why you should see your L&G shares
  • gudda96
    gudda96 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree, it is a mammoth company and I realise if a president/pm sneezes, shares can go down, but only because of panic selling, I feel pretty confident and am impressed with their dividend which I use to boost my income.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    L&G is a strange one.  It doesn't have much activity for new business across all areas nowadays.   You sort of wonder why it still exists and hasnt faded away like many others.   My gut tells me that it sits back on its corporate pension side more nowadays.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just another opinion amongst many so take it with a pinch of salt but a couple of days ago Berenberg upgraded L&G to a, 'buy' from hold. Amongst other things it thinks there may be some growth in annuities.

https://citywire.com/wealth-manager/news/stock-talk-berenberg-upgrades-l-and-g-on-strong-buying-signals/a2433572
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,610 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    wmb194 said:
    Just another opinion amongst many so take it with a pinch of salt but a couple of days ago Berenberg upgraded L&G to a, 'buy' from hold. Amongst other things it thinks there may be some growth in annuities.

https://citywire.com/wealth-manager/news/stock-talk-berenberg-upgrades-l-and-g-on-strong-buying-signals/a2433572
    However, that ship may have sailed.  Prior to mid December, L&G were top of the pile for most people on annuities.  They were lapping it up.  Now they are coming out near bottom.   Their servicing of new business annuities  is way behind and they have priced themselves out of new business.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 January at 9:21PM
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    wmb194 said:

However, that ship may have sailed.  Prior to mid December, L&G were top of the pile for most people on annuities.  They were lapping it up.  Now they are coming out near bottom.   Their servicing of new business annuities  is way behind and they have priced themselves out of new business.
    Perhaps it had its fill? Anyway, the next results are due on 06/03/24 so we'll find out then.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 January at 12:38AM
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    L&G is a strange one.  It doesn't have much activity for new business across all areas nowadays.   You sort of wonder why it still exists and hasnt faded away like many others.   My gut tells me that it sits back on its corporate pension side more nowadays.
    Will benefit from the future uptake of annuity contracts. Also the venture into affordable homes. Suspect that many (recent) investors have become desensitised to the broad range of risks that exist when buying company shares. Thanks to the zero rate interest rate era. Boring companies, like the dinosaurs themselves, will survive. 
  • Roger175
    Roger175 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 January at 9:11AM
    Options
    gudda96, you don't give any info about your wider situation or investment strategy. I hold LGEN as part of my portfolio, have done for over 15 year and have topped up many times during that period, but that's part of a broad high-yield share portfolio with shares in around 30 individual companies. Ok, possibly a few too many, but if you are going to hold individual shares, you need to make sure you are well diversified across the various sectors. 
  • gudda96
    gudda96 Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all comments, it seems that most replies, like me, considerate it a safe company, no need to talk about the dividend as that is obvious.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback