Claiming back postage cost for missing parcel

We sent a small item to USA using RM international tracked service. Item was tiny, and nominal value (just a friendship bracelet that my daughter wanted to send to her friend). I was a bit surprised that the postage cost was almost £10, but that's what they charged her at the post office counter. Packet got as far as crossing the Atlantic and into USPS hands, and then the tracking never updated (well over 2 months ago now).

We reported it to USPS through their website, they came back and stated it was missing. Then reported it to RM and they've agreed it's missing too. So we tried to reclaim the cost of the postage, which you'd think would be straight forward since between them they're admitting that they've lost it, so clearly haven't provided the service that was paid for. We're not bothered about claiming for the cost of the item itself (worth less than the padded envelope that it was in).

Only sticking point is that my daughter no longer has the paper receipt for the postage. SHe kept it for a week and then threw it away because all the tracking details were viewable online. Obviously we have a record of the tracking number, and the tracking shows that it was accepted at the post office counter. Daughter paid by card so we also have bank statement showing card transaction for the postage cost to Post Office Counter.

Originally the online claims form had option to attach a scan of proof of posting, but it said the only acceptable proof was the receipt that we don't have. Didn't think that would matter to claim just the cost of the postage as it's clear from the tracking that they've failed to provide the service. But they've written back to us saying they won't reimburse postage cost without us submitting proof of postage. I've uploaded a scan of the bank statement, but suspect they'll still reject the claim.

Not sure there's anything more we can do? Normally I wouldn't even have bothered claiming at all, I already know RM are a shower of poo. But it's the first time my daughter has ever posted something by herself, and she used a fortnights worth of pocket money to do it. So it's left her somewhat upset.


  • apw81
    apw81 Posts: 121
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Write a complaint, detail the facts and provide what evidence you can, and freepost it to them:

    If they still refuse, then reply and freepost it to the escalated resolutions team (the address for this will be included on the letter they send you).

    Any refund they provide will likely be given as a book of stamps. I believe this is buried in the terms of service nobody gets the opportunity to read when buying postage at a shop counter. Some people say stamps are as good as money, yet I’ve never seen anybody try to buy milk using a first class stamp.

    Alternatively, you might be able to initiate a chargeback via the bank for ‘service not received’, though I have no experience in this.

    Their entire claims process is setup to frustrate in the hope that complainants will just give up instead. They’ll try confuse you on purpose, request evidence that doesn’t exist (or never existed to begin with, as in my experience) and, generally, make you feel the pain of the effort. 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 676
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 10 January at 9:22AM
    If paid by debit card the bank statement should be sufficient proof
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards