To defer State Pension or not ?

Options
Would there be any point in deferring my State Pension by a year ? Approaching pension age with a private pension already paying £15k pa and a part time job paying £12.5k pa i cant see any tax benefit in deferring my pension or am i missing something.?

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The pension is increased by 5.8% for every year deferred 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Which means that the amount you lose in one year will take you 17 years to make up
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I decided to defer mine for 1 year. Have sufficient savings to last a year, and prefer to use them and gain the extra  5.8% indexed linked.
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • Gary1984
    Gary1984 Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Might be an idea to defer until you fully retire so that you don't get too used to the extra cash and then need to take a painful £12.5k reduction when you stop working? It would even out your level of income.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are already paying tax at standard rate - presumably your state pension won't take you over the threshold?

Are you contributing to your current employer's workplace scheme?

If not, you could consider claiming your SP, opening a SIPP and paying up to your net earned  income into it.

Let's say you paid in  £10,000 - the provider would claim tax relief of £2,500 and add it to your pot.

At a time of your choosing you could take 25% of the total as a tax free pension commencement lump sum.

Or if you are contributing to your workplace scheme, would additional contributions be accespted?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    only thing to add is that if you are claiming income related benefits (unlikely I suspect) don't back date your SP claim as it can mess you up royally.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tax isn't the main reason to defer, extra guaranteed income with uncapped inflation is. Life expectancy for a 65 year old man is 85 with a one in four chance of 92 and one in ten of 95. The state pension provides longevity protection, paying out however long you live.

What you'd do with the money instead matters. Often state pension deferring will beat that.

The part time job means you can make gross pension contributions of that much, however much work income you get each year. Often a good or great move.
  • Martin_the_Unjust
    Martin_the_Unjust Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Options
    I was in a similar position to yourself and it actually made financial sense for me to take the state pension and give up the part time job.

As my wife was not working that enabled us to drop down to one car and to take our holidays by booking at the last minute instead of months in advance. The savings those two things gave us were approximately equal too my part time earnings after tax.
  • Steve_666_
    Steve_666_ Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    xylophone said:
    You are already paying tax at standard rate - presumably your state pension won't take you over the threshold?

Are you contributing to your current employer's workplace scheme?

If not, you could consider claiming your SP, opening a SIPP and paying up to your net earned  income into it.

Let's say you paid in  £10,000 - the provider would claim tax relief of £2,500 and add it to your pot.

At a time of your choosing you could take 25% of the total as a tax free pension commencement lump sum.

Or if you are contributing to your workplace scheme, would additional contributions be accepted?
    I'm effectively doing this, taking the SP and increasing my SIPP contribution by a similar amount. 
  • ukdw
    ukdw Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agreed I don't think there is any great tax benefit in the OP deferring, the main benefit of deferring for a small number of years is the 5.8% uplift.   

The two times when I can think that there may be a tax benefit are:
    1) In normal times where tax bands going up every year, if you are nearing say the 40% band - and deferring either for a few months within a year or for the full year would keep you out of the 40% band - with the hope that maybe next year the tax band goes up by more than the 5.8% + Triple lock uplift.

2) For non earners - who are taking advantage of the non earner private pension contribution £2,880 -> £3,600   £720 free cash option.  The benefit would likely drop a fair bit as soon as you start taking a full year of state pension - as some of the £3,600 would start to be taxed at 20% -  so deferring for a few weeks or the whole year would potentially still allow for full £720 gain - so would in effect slightly reduce the amount of cash lost by the SP deferral.   I guess the counter to this though - is that the 5.8% uplift when SP is eventually taken would reduce £720 benefit too - but over a much longer period.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback