PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyer pulled out - put back on market or accept a low historical offer?

I put my house on the market back in August '23 for £550,000. Two people (finally) made offers in the same week just before Xmas, of £535k and £545k, in the end I accepted the offer of £545k. Buyer has just pulled out for medical/health reasons. The other party is still interested but at £530k. Question is, do I accept this lower offer (or ask for £535k) OR put it back on the market (according to a few news articles prices may have gone up slightly)? They were pretty insistent that they couldn't go up much more.

Comments

  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,633
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can ask, but if it took 4 months to get a sale - are you really going to quibble over what is less than 1% of the house value?

    You can always put it back up - but depending on the area - are there a lot of buyers for houses inyour price bracket?

  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,056
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Forumite
    It depends on your situation, if you can work with 530k and it allows you to get on with your life is it worth the risk of finding another buyer?
    We had a similar situation when we lost our 545k buyer and the underbidder had a max of 525k. I looked at our finances and we decided to sell to them and move on. This was just before the pandemic so that decision meant we spent lockdown in rural Wales rather than Surrey and we have never regretted that decision. 
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 January at 2:26PM
    haiqu said:
    I put my house on the market back in August '23 for £550,000. Two people (finally) made offers in the same week just before Xmas, of £535k and £545k, in the end I accepted the offer of £545k. Buyer has just pulled out for medical/health reasons. The other party is still interested but at £530k. Question is, do I accept this lower offer (or ask for £535k) OR put it back on the market (according to a few news articles prices may have gone up slightly)? They were pretty insistent that they couldn't go up much more.
    I think a few other news articles would suggest prices have gone down. We've seen a few buyers on this forum asking about reducing their offers lately... It's interesting that buyers seem to think prices are going down whereas sellers seem to think prices are going up.

    I don't think it's just people being disingenuous - the problem with digital media is that the algorithms are designed to show us things we engage with.

    Personally I think you would be absolutely bananas to reject an offer of £530k because of an arbitary £5k, but that's just my opinion.
    Know what you don't
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 2,949
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    We are now looking at putting our house on the market in Spring, and had an estate agent round to give us an idea of value. 

    12-18 months ago we'd have been looking at £310-320k now £295k. Looking at the amount of houses on the market not moving and being reduced prices are not on their way back up. 


    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,789
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 January at 3:51PM
    We are now looking at putting our house on the market in Spring, and had an estate agent round to give us an idea of value. 

    12-18 months ago we'd have been looking at £310-320k now £295k. Looking at the amount of houses on the market not moving and being reduced prices are not on their way back up. 
    To add to the anecdotes, Nationwide valued my house at £380,666 in August (when the OP first put their house on the market) whereas they now value my house at £364,260 (I'm tracking this because I'm trying to fall into a new LTV band when I come to switch... which is looking more unlikely).

    This is the same instrument driving their mortgage decisions. From their perspective, my house has decreased in value by ~4% (which doesn't matter to me, but if I was selling it and someone wanted to buy it with a Nationwide mortgage, Nationwide would be willing to lend less against it now than they would have in August).

    The OP's house was also on the market for 4 months before it received offers so I'm suprised they're nonchalant about considering put it back on the market, and for more to boot.

    Personally I'd count my lucky stars and bite the buyers arm off. Buyers coming to this forum are requesting reductions much higher than 1% ! The last thread I read (same time period) was discussing a reduction in their offer from £450k to  £405k!
    Know what you don't
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 1,983
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I agree- unless the figures just can't work for you (in which case it's probably time for a complete rethink) bite their arm off.
  • haiqu
    haiqu Posts: 9
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone for their advice. I forgot to mention that it was originally on the market for £565k, then it was reduced. 
  • haiqu
    haiqu Posts: 9
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, yes it will allow me to move on with my life which is probably the most important thing. 
    It depends on your situation, if you can work with 530k and it allows you to get on with your life is it worth the risk of finding another buyer?
    We had a similar situation when we lost our 545k buyer and the underbidder had a max of 525k. I looked at our finances and we decided to sell to them and move on. This was just before the pandemic so that decision meant we spent lockdown in rural Wales rather than Surrey and we have never regretted that decision. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards