Can I claim against my managing agent/landlord for a leak that has caused damage?

Options
lee19855
lee19855 Posts: 11 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Please help as I really have not got a clue about this. Okay so we’ve had a leak (was not caused by a storm, was just running the bath for my children) the sink has been pouring water out at force and all the bathroom and landing are in a few inches of water.

The leak has been pouring through the roof like a tap on full and has flooded the kitchen and the living room and the cupboard under the stairs with a couple of inches of water. I’m worried about electrics, but also things like carpets, the microwave (which was directly below the boiler that was peeing out water) the fridge freezer etc and other appliances that are now water submerged and damaged. We don’t have contents insurance. We have been living there for two years. The house is rented via a managing agent. We have obviously raised the leak immediately with the managing agent and took lots of photos etc. 

Can we make a claim for the damage? 

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can try - but you should have contents insurance - normally it's a stipulation of rental agreements
  • lee19855
    lee19855 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks. We have CCjs so covering everything was £80 per month. Not a cost we can afford in the current cost of living climate. So we decided not to. It’s only hurting us, no one else. But in this case, it’s not our fault. Does anyone know whether legally the liability should be on the landlord for this?
  • njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    So what was actually leaking?
    Broken boiler. The tap overflowing the sink?
    Not very clear at the moment.
    Did you turn water off at the stop tap when it started leaking?
    More info needed.
  • DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't think you can place the blame for this on the landlord - you are responsible for the insurance of your belongings if anything happens - unless of course you can prove negligence on their part.

I point though if the damage is that bad the landlord should be looking to re-house you or move you to alternative accomodation whist repairs take place.

Is this a private rental or HA?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure