Economy 7 meter but single tariff - changing providers

Jet
Jet Posts: 1,620
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
I want to change from British Gas to Octopus energy (mainly for customer service reasons).  We have a 2 rate meter but are on a single rate tarriff with British Gas.

When I try and switch, Octopus energy flags up that I am not on a single rate meter and then tries to re-direct me to a economy 7 rate quote.

I've emailed them to ask what I should do, but wondered if any wise people on here would know?

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,624
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 7 January at 1:07PM
    The national database will show your meter as an E7 one. Pretty much any supplier will want to give you an E7 quote if you use their automated systems.
    You'll need to phone, email, Tweet etc. Octopus and ask for the single-rate tariff specifically.
    Once you get a smart meter, you can have it set to single-rate and switching should become easier.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,627
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When I try and switch, Octopus energy flags up that I am not on a single rate meter and then tries to re-direct me to a economy 7 rate quote.
    Automated systems may do that but it can easily be overruled by a human and the same single rate applied to both registers.   just as you are now with BG.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,674
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi Jet ...

What you have is a two register (peak and off-peak) meter, not a two rate meter. The rates are determined by your supplier and your tariff can be 'two readings one (or single) rate' as provided by British Gas or an economy 7 one. Suppliers should be able to offer you either single or E7 tariffs and therefore this is advantageous to users wanting to change their tariff type in summer or winter.

I have been on both E7 tariffs and 'two readings one rate' tariffs in the past, with the same meter.

Octopus, being the supplier with the most sophisticated tariffs and generally accepted as having the best customer service, should be able to accommodate your wishes.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 606
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You will need to transfer over to octopus as an E7 meter as that’s what you have & that’s what’s in the national database. Once you are transferred over & everything's set up, they can then change it within their system to bill you on a single rate prices 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback