PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's Marmalade Time!

Options
purpleivy
purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 7 January at 12:39PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hands up if you are making marmalade this year? 
I just collected quite a lot of kg of oranges from Morrisons and some lemons from Aldi. My parents use a jar a week. Mum is 90, has dementia and no longer able to make herself. 

Do you have a local greengrocer who sells them?
Sadly I don't

What method do you use? 
I cook halved fruit in the Instant Pot (used to do pressure cooker) but never quite sure how much water, traditionally a lot would evaporate off in the cooking process. 

After the fruit is soft (never know quite how many minutes, so sometimes need to put it on again) I scoop out the insides and strain this. 

Most methods start with squeezing the fruit and cutting the peel.  I find it's much easier to strain the insides and then cut the peel when it's softer! 

Do you make marmalade other than Seville orange?
I made lime recently but the rinds are still a bit tough. I thought they were OK after the IP!  I'm still eating it of course!

Do you feel it's still an economical thing to do?  
Ocado organic are £5.75 a bag, think 1.5kg.  I paid £2/kg

Let me know how you go on! 
[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
Trying not to waste food!:j
ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I usually make marmalade but depending on what fruit I have for it. So this year I expect it;ll be clementines or satsumas or tangerines, and I really like a marmalade with those in them, they're still bitter but a lovely fresh taste. I've also thrown in dried cranberries with grapefruit and oranges, aldo nice. It all depends on whats available. I might even go to the community friedge next week and look for some tangerines there.
    My method is boil them whole, covered with water. When they're cooked and cooled i peel or squeeze out the innards, whizz up the innards in a blender type thing, hand slice the peel, add sugar in equal quantities I think or just a bit less, boil and away to go...I just opened one of the last jars from 2022 so it's time to replenish..
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There were Seville oranges at the market this week but I wasn't ready for them yet! This Friday I will be. It's only OH & I who eat it, so I won't be making a vast amount & it'll probably last a couple of years. We also have a fair amount of two-quince marmalade, made this last autumn, in the store cupboard; marmalade was originally made with tree quinces & we have two trees, and I add Japonica quinces from a neighbour's bushes, which add a spicy flavour and extra pectin, as our "Vranja" quinces don't always have quite enough. The two preserves are similar but different, both tangy & tasty, and we love them both! Not having to buy quinces makes the quince version cheaper for us, though it wouldn't be for most, and Sevilles from the market are very reasonable anyway - much cheaper than the only time I bought them in a supermarket!
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There were Seville oranges at the market this week but I wasn't ready for them yet! This Friday I will be. It's only OH & I who eat it, so I won't be making a vast amount & it'll probably last a couple of years. We also have a fair amount of two-quince marmalade, made this last autumn, in the store cupboard; marmalade was originally made with tree quinces & we have two trees, and I add Japonica quinces from a neighbour's bushes, which add a spicy flavour and extra pectin, as our "Vranja" quinces don't always have quite enough. The two preserves are similar but different, both tangy & tasty, and we love them both! Not having to buy quinces makes the quince version cheaper for us, though it wouldn't be for most, and Sevilles from the market are very reasonable anyway - much cheaper than the only time I bought them in a supermarket!
    I love quinces!  Friend in Germany makes quince 'gelee' with hers and she has also made a kind of fruit leather.  Very yummy!   I have made a jelly with japonica fruit but there has only been enough once. My husband prunes viciously!

[SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport