Omaze [Merged]

Options
Pipcas
Pipcas Posts: 67 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 8 January at 10:20AM in Compers chat corner
What are peoples experience/ opinion on the Omaze draws?  the prizes are certainly extragavant

Comments

• Pipcas
    Pipcas Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    What are peoples experience/ opinion on the Omaze draws?  the prizes are certainly extragavant
  • Cashmygiro
    Cashmygiro Posts: 101 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 8 January at 10:21AM
    Options
    Little point in winning a multi million pound property if you don't have the income to upkeep it. Same goes for these supercar giveaways.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some of the properties were later found to have historic issues , one was repeated flooding, another too close to a collapsing cliff edge and so on .

Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,904 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah I’ve never entered any of these competitions for the reasons stated above. Difficulty in selling on, clauses to say you can’t sell it for so long. Also, you might not want to live in that particular area. 

Would rather enter a competition for a cash prize. 
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,706.18
  • Happy_girl
    Happy_girl Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January at 10:19AM
    Options
    I have supported Omaze since the middle of last year, swopping from The Postcode Lottery, after reading the reviews on Trustpilot.  It appears to be very efficiently run and makes a significant contribution to a set charity each month. Whilst there are the big prizes of a house and often a car etc each month there are a significant number of gift card prizes each month. I was lucky enough to win a £20 gift card soon after joining.  
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They legally exploit a loophole in the rules that enables them to avoid "proper" regulation by having a free entry route otherwise they would not be able to get a licence - they say "Now, we offer our charity partners a guaranteed 17% of total sales from each House Draw" that compares to 28% from lotto and 33% from the postcode lottery.
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    Options
    Don't particularly care about their ethics or legal loopholes as long as the competitions are legally and properly run - for the price of a second class stamp you have a chance of winning a huge prize and at least some money will go to charity. As far as maintenance and selling on goes, you usually get a substantial cash sum as well and if the property sold for even half the market price that is a life changing amount to me.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 894 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would never enter but I wonder what the odds are of wining - do they publish this information?
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,916 Forumite
    Options
    I would never enter but I wonder what the odds are of wining - do they publish this information?
    not that I have seen - They "paused" operations in the USA a year ago and have been fairly silent over there since
  • audrie57
    audrie57 Posts: 61 Forumite
    edited 8 January at 10:19AM
    Options
    Congratulations on your win, A win is a win, to be honest I didn't know they do gift cards ect, as well as the main draw, I enter by post, and online. then cross my fingers and hope?????? One day we will win a super prize, knowing that we have given some to a charity.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback