Recent separation

My partner of 32 years have decided to split. 50/50 on bills etc. We have a daughter of 15. I would like the house sold ASAP.  But she is now saying she would like a new bathroom and kitchen fitted  before selling. All it needs is a quick paint. Surely she can't use this to stop the sale of the house . I moved into my mother's 8 weeks ago and still pay the bills.  Any advice welcome. There is around 10000 left in the mortgage and it is valued at around 140000
Thanks

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,188
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sounds like a delaying tactic. Upgrading kitchens and bathrooms before a sale is highly unlikely to increase the value to a a sufficient level to even cover the expense of the upgrade, most buyers prefer to do their own upgrades to their taste.

Maybe suggest getting some estate agents to value the house and get their opinions about carrying out any work prior to sale, they will all advise her not to do it. 
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,620
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Are either of you in a position to buy each other out? Where will your daughter live if  home is sold, it is an important time in school with upcomng exams? It sounds as though your partner wants to stay in the house as planning renovations or she believes it will increase value? It is pointless spending money as decor is personal and unless you are able to carry out installations competently and cheaply you are unlikely to get back the cost. If you are married you should reach a fimancial settlement as part of the divorce.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,291
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 9:18AM
    My partner of 32 years have decided to split. 50/50 on bills etc. We have a daughter of 15. I would like the house sold ASAP.  But she is now saying she would like a new bathroom and kitchen fitted  before selling. All it needs is a quick paint. Surely she can't use this to stop the sale of the house . I moved into my mother's 8 weeks ago and still pay the bills.  Any advice welcome. There is around 10000 left in the mortgage and it is valued at around 140000
    Thanks
    Who owns the house?
    If it’s in joint names then you will need her agreement to sell, unless you try and force a sale through the courts which is a lengthy and expensive process.

If there’s a joint mortgage then you’re jointly and equally liable for the repayments, but if you’ve moved out then the utilities and council tax should be transferred into her name (if not already) and you’re not liable for them. You are, however, liable for payments towards your child. https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance-service

Ultimately, if everything can be agreed amicably this is the best option for everyone and will avoid expensive legal bills, but it’s not always possible if one party chooses to be difficult.

As an above post suggests, getting the opinions of some local estate agents may be helpful in persuading her that new kitchen/bathroom is not a good idea (unless the existing ones are in such a poor state to render the house unmortgageable for a potential buyer). I also agree that it sounds like an attempt at delaying any sale.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £0
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We are in no position to buy each other out. She keeps saying she is not moving out until she gets another house . I don't think she realises she won't get a council house when she will be sitting with around sixty thousand pounds profit from the house sale
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not married 
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,262
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 9:41AM
    If you’re not living there perhaps your starting point is to have your name taken off all the day to day bills - utilities, council, tax, et cetera while  paying the important house owning  one such as the mortgage and insurance. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,414
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    move back in then maybe she will decide that selling is a good idea
  • Stateofart
    Stateofart Posts: 265
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Possession is nine-tenths of the law.  You should have never moved out.  It's amazing how slow things happen when they've got the house to themselves and have literally no impetus, except for verbal agreement with someone who's not in their good books, to move.  Moving back in is probably the best advice as it tends to sharpen people's ability to plan for the future.

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,769
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 January at 1:49PM
    Classic manoeuvre, absolute textbook delay tactic.

If she's playing silly buggers, just move back in. 

Don't involve innocent estate agents in the silly break up games. 
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure