Can't use new laptop because can't recover MS account password!

Si_Clist
Si_Clist Posts: 1,459
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
I have today bought a shiny new Windows 11 laptop which I cannot use.  I can't use it because I can't bypass the first page on startup which requires me to sign into my Microsoft Account.  And I can't do that because I don't know my password.

I've gone through the password recovery process twice now and MS has rejected it twice.  I do not know why.  All I know is that at one time I had a Microsoft account but I no longer have a record of the password.  And I can't guess it.  The only MS machine we have nowadays is an old laptop running Windows 10.  Might anything on there be any help to me?

Microsoft doesn't offer me any suggestions as to where I go from here and I'm rapidly losing the will to live.  Can somebody please advise?

A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Comments

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,559
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you haven't been using that account just set up a shiny new account.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,459
    Forumite
    GrumpyDil said:
    Really?  When all my personal details will be the same?
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,254
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    On your old computer follow this link

Set a new password then WRITE IT DOWN on the inside cover of a hardback book !!

I had this issue trying to recover an email password that dated back to NTLworld, plus microsoft, firefox etc. I was tearing my hair out for days!!

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,559
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Si_Clist said:
    GrumpyDil said:
    Really?  When all my personal details will be the same?
    Why not?

I have four different email accounts to keep emails on different subjects separate. 
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 242
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 10:16PM
    GrumpyDil said:
    exactly  ,  different  email  address will be set up , but  why not  i have  one  microsoft account of my own  , three  that relate to work ( assuming the last two haven't  been purged from their relevant  systems  as it's only aobut a month since  i finished at my last job ) and  several Google  accounts for different things. 

the main thing with   new  Microsfot account is that you will need to purchase seperate  licences for Office etc.  

as others have suggested attempting to recover the password on  your old machine  may be  easier - then  you can change it there  and  make a note of it ! 
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 302
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    On your old Win10 laptop what is the email address associated with it? If you open up edge or the ms store it should have the email address under your profile.
    Also, how do you log in on the old laptop, if it's by password then that will be the your Microsoft password. Of it's by pin then you need to choose to use password instead of pin at the log in screen.

• cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 505
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Simply create a random Microsoft account then once windows 11 is installed , change windows 11 to a local account and forget about the random Microsoft account

Theb you can recover your Microsoft account (if you want to) at your leisure 
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,800
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Also, how do you log in on the old laptop, if it's by password then that will be the your Microsoft password. Of it's by pin then you need to choose to use password instead of pin at the log in screen.

Not necessarily, because it was possibly in 10 to bypass that and just have the old school local account instead.

It is possible in Windows 11 to have a local account on setup rather than be forced into an MS account, but it's a bit more convoluted.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Google 'how to set up Windows 11 with a local account'

this will enable you to get to the desktop in your windows 11 machine

thereafter if you want to either create a new Microsoft account or indeed try and recover your old one then you can easily sign into it should you wish under settings / accounts
  • Newcad
    Newcad Posts: 782
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 11:50AM
    As said just let it set up a new MS account for you.
    I must have 10 or 20 MS accounts by now and never use any of them.
    (It's a bit like a Google account with a new phone, if you don't enter an existing one it will just sign you up for a new one).
    I do usually set up/activate machines without any MS account at all, but sometimes forget and so just sign up for another one  then switch to a Local Account afterwards.
    Windows 11 has made it a lot more difficult than previously to activate Windows without a entering/getting a MS account first, but it can still be done.
    It's probably better if you are not techie just to sign up a new MS account for your new Win 11 machine.
    (Then you can switch to a local account afterwards, or stay on the MS account, your choice).
    Just to note that an MS account is not the same thing as a Windows Licence.
    The Windows Licence/Digital Entitlement is specific to one computer, it activates a Windows Licence on that computer only.
    You can sign into your MS account(s) from any computer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback