Smoothing Swirly Artex ceilings

Hi All - I have swirly artex ceilings with many (cosmetic) cracks due to previous leaks from upstairs bathrooms, poor nailing of boards and/or general movement since property built (1997 build). What is the best way to sort out the cracks and get that smooth modern look finish to my ceilings? Builder has suggested to secure cracked ceiling to joists and skim over but if that’s not possible (?) then overboarding - any thoughts for what will give better results? Thanks! 

Comments

• DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,269
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If there’s any issue with the stability of the existing ceiling then overboarding would be bettter. Skimming a poor underlying substrate will just result in cracking. 
  • F1001
    F1001 Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DRP said:
    If there’s any issue with the stability of the existing ceiling then overboarding would be bettter. Skimming a poor underlying substrate will just result in cracking. 
    Thanks @DRP - silly question but does overboarding reduce the ceiling height? Do I need to redo coving then?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 10:47PM
    F1001 said:
    DRP said:
    Thanks @DRP - silly question but does overboarding reduce the ceiling height? Do I need to redo coving then?
    If you have coving, that would usually have to be taken off in order to skim properly. Overboarding and skimming will reduce the ceiling height by 11-15mm (depending on the thickness of the boards). An insignificant reduction !
    Highly unlikely that the original coving can be reused, so take advantage of the fact and select a profile that you like and is in keeping with the property.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • F1001
    F1001 Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    F1001 said:
    DRP said:
    If you have coving, that would usually have to be taken off in order to skim properly. Overboarding and skimming will reduce the ceiling height by 11-15mm (depending on the thickness of the boards). An insignificant reduction !
    Highly unlikely that the original coving can be reused, so take advantage of the fact and select a profile that you like and is in keeping with the property.
    Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback