IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

B&m parking charge - confused about the appeal reply

-Parking ticket from overstay at b&m.
-Appealed online
-Didn’t name the driver (as it wasn’t the registered keeper anyway)
- Used the template from the newbie’s thread and provided a copy of the drivers (my) receipt. I was also in b&m for the entire duration if that matters.

Below is the reply email received but my questions are
- why does it matter how much I spent? 
- should I just appeal again and use a screenshot of my bank statement? the receipt is a bit faded on the time but the date is clear enough (cropped picture of the date & time below)
- They also haven’t said how long b&m grace period is (which is included in the template) I was only 11 minutes over and considering how much I bought is a acceptable amount of time to load the car and return the trolley.

Dear *******
Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Vehicles entering and exiting the car park are monitored and details of their registration number and time of entry/exit are recorded.  Your vehicle was logged entering the car park on the 28 Nov 2023 at 18:50 and exiting 28 Nov 2023 at 21:01.  Photographic evidence of the breach of contractual term is provided on your Contractual Parking Charge Notice.

There are sufficient signs at the entrance to and in prominent locations throughout the car park displaying the terms and conditions. You are welcome to revisit the site to view the signage, we advise you to adhere to the terms and conditions of parking when you are visiting the site.

Our signage complies with the International Parking Community's Code of Practice.

You received a parking charge because the driver breached the terms and conditions of parking - and is therefore liable to pay the amount of a parking charge stated on our signage.  We also refer you to Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act, which sets out the legal basis upon which we may demand payment from the vehicle’s registered keeper if the driver fails to pay us the parking charge.

The notice to keeper has been issued within the relevant time frames inside of the Protection of Freedoms Act.

The proof of purchase provided does not clearly show the amount spent. Please re-provide your proof of purchase that clearly shows the date and amount spent. You can provide this on www.appealyourcharge.co.uk. As a gesture of goodwill we may re-evaluate your appeal.

We have taken into account your appeal and requested additional information from you to investigate further. Your appeal will only be re-considered if you provide this information within 14 days, otherwise no further investigation will be undertaken.

You now have one of the following options available to you:

1. Pay the outstanding Parking Charge. Payment of your Contractual Parking Charge Notice can be made via the payment line: 0333 733 3000 or by sending a cheque or postal order to G24 Limited, PO Box 3320, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, SL9 8WT.

2. If you believe this decision is incorrect, you are entitled to appeal to The Independent Appeals Service (www.theIAS.org), The Independent Appeals Service provides an Alternative Dispute Resolution scheme for disputes of this type. As you have complied with our internal appeals procedure you may use, and we will engage with, the The Independent Appeals Service Standard Appeals Service providing you lodge an appeal to them within 21 days of your first rejection.

3. If you choose to do nothing, we will seek to recover the monies owed to us via our debt recovery procedures and may proceed with Court action against you.

Appeals Team
G24 Ltd

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,152
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    gm38 said:
    ...my questions are
    - why does it matter how much I spent? 
    Some car park operators have an agreement with the landholder that they won't pursue parking issues when the driver/keeper has spent more than a certain amount in-store.

Of course they won't divulge that threshold amount, but it might be in your interest to send them a more complete copy of your B&M receipt.
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 708
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 12:12AM
    I would go back to B&M, demand to speak to the manager, show them the receipt to demonstrate how much was spent then ask them to get the PCN cancelled or you won’t be a customer in future. This is called Plan A and is more likely to result in a cancellation than any appeal to any IPC related parking company.

There is however a chance that there may be a threshold amount on this site for cancellations in their contract with B&M so there is no harm in supplying them with this. I would use the receipt rather than have to redact a bank statement. I don’t trust anyone but especially scammers with any personal information.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 12:21AM
    As an example, we learned years ago that ParkingEye were cancelling PCNs when shoppers had spent over £30.

So you may as well upload the receipt but tell G24 that you are utterly outraged and find this so intrusive that you are also complaining to the CEO of B&M. As a family, everyone is united in resolving never to shop there again.

You do know NOT to pay G24?  (I mean whatever the outcome). And NOT to try IAS?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • gm38
    gm38 Posts: 31
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would go back to B&M, demand to speak to the manager, show them the receipt to demonstrate how much was spent then ask them to get the PCN cancelled or you won’t be a customer in future. This is called Plan A and is more likely to result in a cancellation than any appeal to any IPC related parking company.

There is however a chance that there may be a threshold amount on this site for cancellations in their contract with B&M so there is no harm in supplying them with this. I would use the receipt rather than have to redact a bank statement. I don’t trust anyone but especially scammers with any personal information.
    It’s not close enough to go in to speak with a manager but I did originally ring as I spent close to £200 hence the lengthy stay but they said they couldn’t do anything about it and wouldn’t pass me on to a manager .
  • gm38
    gm38 Posts: 31
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As an example, we learned years ago that ParkingEye were cancelling PCNs when shoppers had spent over £30.

So you may as well upload the receipt but tell G24 that you are utterly outraged and find this so intrusive that you are also complaining to the CEO of B&M. As a family, everyone is united in resolving never to shop there again.

You do know NOT to pay G24?  (I mean whatever the outcome). And NOT to try IAS?
    I wouldn’t pay them simply because I was a genuine customer for the entire time so I’d rather point blank refuse and risk court/baliff letters than give in. May I ask why never to pay g24 (out of curiosity) 
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    May I ask why never to pay g24 (out of curiosity) 
    I will let others explain...but come on, it's a scam industry.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Not_A_Hope
    Not_A_Hope Posts: 708
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It’s not close enough to go in to speak with a manager but I did originally ring as I spent close to £200 hence the lengthy stay but they said they couldn’t do anything about it and wouldn’t pass me on to a manager .
    If providing the PPC with a copy of your receipt doesn’t work you have a choice. Spend some time and go back to the B&M store where you cannot be so easily fobbed off and demand to see the manager with your complaint, spend much more of your valuable time defending an inevitable court claim or pay their ever increasing demand. The whole private parking industry thrives on people being bullied and harassed by the threat of courts and CCJs through roboclaims that earn these companies a billion pounds a year.

I know which would potentially be the easiest and quickest way to get this monkey off my back.
  • Johnersh
    Johnersh Posts: 1,289
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's anpr. You're 10 mins over, so:

The timer starts on entry (IE before parking)and finishes on exit. It's reasonable to assume that having passed the camera at least 5 mins was spent finding a spot and parking. subsequently that is reversed. It's quite possible to argue that the vehicle was parked for no longer than the relevant period.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,070
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Johnersh said:
    It's anpr. You're 10 mins over, so:

The timer starts on entry (IE before parking)and finishes on exit. It's reasonable to assume that having passed the camera at least 5 mins was spent finding a spot and parking. subsequently that is reversed. It's quite possible to argue that the vehicle was parked for no longer than the relevant period.
    And as an IPC Member, there's a 10 minute grace period to take into account.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,963
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ... and if you do go back, take the goods with you and demand a refund (in full) as you have a PCN to pay; furthermore you will not be using the store again if every visit comes with a £100 (£170) surcharge.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback