Items missing/stolen in transit

Hi,

I ordered 2 bottles of aftershave from an online retailer (with a good reputation).  Having paid the best part of £100 for these I was very much looking forward to these being delivered.

I got a notification that the delivery of the package had been completed.  I got home to find that whilst the package had been delivered, it had been tampered with and was empty - neither of the items I had ordered were in the package.  

Having a RING doorbell I've got evidence of the package being delivered, no one else approaching or touching the package, and it being sat by my front door for 2 - 3 minutes before it was brought in to the house.

The retailer have checked the footage in their warehouse, confirming the items were packed.  The distribution company is confirming that the package was delivered.  

My frustration is that no-one is taking responsibility for my missing items, or giving me any suggestions of what to do.  I'm out of pocket £100 and have nothing to show for it.  Other than me calling the police and claiming that my items were stolen (something that I don't particularly want to do as its not exactly a high profile case!) I'm at a loss.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,752
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Did you pay by card?  Ask your card provider if they'll advise or intervene.

The retailer may ask you to report the theft, anyway.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,137
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MattG1985 said:
    Other than me calling the police and claiming that my items were stolen (something that I don't particularly want to do as its not exactly a high profile case!) I'm at a loss.  

Reporting the theft strengthens your case. 
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 218
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My frustration is that no-one is taking responsibility for my missing items, or giving me any suggestions of what to do.  I'm out of pocket £100 and have nothing to show for it.  Other than me calling the police and claiming that my items were stolen (something that I don't particularly want to do as its not exactly a high profile case!) I'm at a loss.  
    It doesn't really need to be high profile - nobody is expecting the Police to launch a massive investigation, but if you report to the Police that shows the retailer that you're not just making it up. It might be worth letting the retailer know that if they don't resolve this you'll have to contact the Police.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,534
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It doesn't really need to be high profile - nobody is expecting the Police to launch a massive investigation, but if you report to the Police that shows the retailer that you're not just making it up. It might be worth letting the retailer know that if they don't resolve this you'll have to contact the Police.
    TBH. OP should be contacting police & passing the details on anyway. 
    Company will not be bothered if you say well if you don't refund I'll go to the police, as police will not do anything to get OP there money back from retailer either way.
    Life in the slow lane
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,052
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Agree with others  report it to police and get a reference number. This will also help if going to court
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Archerychick
    Archerychick Posts: 180
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you managed to see or can you request the photographic evidence that the delivery company have that they took when the parcel was delivered- does the photo show damage to the parcel so that can show the retailer it was delivered in that way? Evri and Parcelforce in my experience take photos in all cases when parcels are left in apparent safe locations. 

A safe location is not outside a front door, if that is where the item was delivered to, and I expect that would go against the delivery companies policy too.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,608
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you managed to see or can you request the photographic evidence that the delivery company have that they took when the parcel was delivered- does the photo show damage to the parcel so that can show the retailer it was delivered in that way? Evri and Parcelforce in my experience take photos in all cases when parcels are left in apparent safe locations. 

A safe location is not outside a front door, if that is where the item was delivered to, and I expect that would go against the delivery companies policy too.
    OP stated
    Having a RING doorbell I've got evidence of the package being delivered, no one else approaching or touching the package, and it being sat by my front door for 2 - 3 minutes before it was brought in to the house.

so not tampered with after being left on doorstep.
  • Archerychick
    Forumite
    Yep read that which is great, but hadn’t helped them resolve. My thinking behind the delivery company evidence would hopefully prove that the item was delivered already tampered with & then the retailer will do something about it
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,328
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 January at 9:59PM
    I guess the question is if the 'tampering' of the package was actually visible/obvious externally. 

If the seller have said they've got the picture from the carrier... I now wonder if a subject access request would get it? 

I'd also be interested if the ring footage showed the carrier placing the parcel and knocking waiting or just leaving (given it was apparently collected within a couple of minutes) - not that it would be conclusive in this day and age if they just dropped and dashed, but might be suggestive that they didn't want to be there when the homeowner saw the parcel... 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Archerychick
    Forumite
    The point also remains whether the delivery company left the parcel in a safe location to begin with. I’ve had this happen, where an item was damaged due to water (even though there was a porch that could have been accessed). I was able to show the drop & run by the delivery chap, along with photos of the offending water logged parcel. It wasn’t my fault the item was damaged.The delivery company advised that this was against their policy and the retailer should be contacted for refund : replacement which is what I did and it was sorted. But that’s not theft.

a lot of the delivery companies make immediately accessible via online tracking the delivery photo - worth checking. A sar might cover it otherwise, would be worth a go
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback