Solicitor as executor

My Dad, has made his will, and appointed 3 executors , myself, brother and solicitor, he put a clause in his will because brother lives with him, that he can stay in the house until 2 years after his death, we don’t get along at all, solicitor is also brothers solicitor, is this allowed? Can she be impartial if she is also employed by him? Thanks all 😬

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,236
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yes of course it's allowed, why wouldn't it be? Your Father and Brother are perfectly entitled to appoint whoever they like to act for them. The only time they couldn't choose the same Solicitor would be if your father or brother were looking to take legal action against each other via the same solicitor.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,466
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even if the solicitor is the brother's solicitor they are legally required to execute and distribute the estate as per the will. Not as per "brother might like it."

If dad is open to conversation, you might want to explain that this could well leave you with a CGT liability (18-28% for any uplift between death and sale) which wouldn't affect brother as it was his primary residence. Or you could just move in for a while?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Mintyrose
    Mintyrose Posts: 37
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Could it? You see I live in social housing, dad only has a 2 bed bungalow and I couldn’t risk giving up my home, in case this all goes wrong 😭
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,020
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mintyrose said:
    Could it? You see I live in social housing, dad only has a 2 bed bungalow and I couldn’t risk giving up my home, in case this all goes wrong 😭
    No. Stupid idea.

There may not in any case be a CGT liability. See https://www.crane-staples.co.uk/news/do-i-pay-capital-gains-tax-on-inherited-property/ for a very clear explanation (and of course the property could sell for less than its probate value so the whole issue of CGT would fall away).
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mintyrose
    Mintyrose Posts: 37
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Marcon, such a difficult situation, thankfully dad is still with us, but last week diagnosed as having blood cancer, obviously my 1st concern is him and always has been, I look after all his medical stuff, but his legal dealings are beyond me 🤷‍♀️😬
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback