tax code split between company pension and ESA contribution based support group payment

Options
freefee
freefee Posts: 13 Forumite
First Post
hi. first post, so please be kind, not sure where to post this, hope this is OK
i have been in receipt of a company pension since 2014, did not hit the £85 disregard rate until a few years ago, my weekly pension is £94.90 or £411.25 pcm, giving me an annual income of £4935, by my calculation, and my tax code is 598L i am also in receipt of contribution based ESA support group payments of £124.55 a week after half of my pension over £85 a week is taken off. my ESA tax code is BR i worked out my esa IS 6476.6  a year, so the 2 added together comes to £11.411.6, well below the tax threshold, is this the way it should be or do i need 2 tax codes? any advice very much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• freefee
    First Post
    Options
    sorry, meant to add that neither income has yet paid any tax
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    sorry again. i also receive PIP enhanced on both elements, but i know this is not taxable, sorry
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    started getting company pension when i turned 50, still in 50's so not state pension age and this is all my income in total, sorry to be a pain, not great on computers
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    posted on a different forum and someone kindly put a link up for here, so the first post is just my previous post copied and pasted and put here, not great at things like this, been on esa and pip under different names, incapacity benefit and DLA. i inform dwp each year of pension increase and presume they  sort it out
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    freefee said:
    This is the key thing - the sole purpose of tax codes is to try to ensure that any tax due is collected via PAYE, but if no income tax is due and none is being collected then there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    freefee said:
    This is the key thing - the sole purpose of tax codes is to try to ensure that any tax due is collected via PAYE, but if no income tax is due and none is being collected then there shouldn't be anything to be concerned about?
    The BR code is confusing though.
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    just checked 2023 statement, it is titled, certificate of pay and taxable benefit and tax deducted, it says final tax code BR with a X  in a box to the right of it, it seems to be a P6OU issued by the BA/DSS
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    the last time it was a tax code was to 5th april 2018 has been BR  since then?
  • freefee
    First Post
    Options
    tax code for ESA in 2018 was 738L
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business