What's the delay in charging me for gas?

Brie
Brie Posts: 9,318
Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
Forumite
On 1st Jan I took meter readings as the price gap was changing and loaded them online to my account with Eon Next.

On 2nd Jan I could see the electricity reading had been calculated but not the gas.  It's still not showing today.  What I do see is the following:

You have a provisional transaction

A charge of £181.36 on Dec 31st hasn't yet been applied. This transaction will be reviewed before being finalised.

Why would it need to be reviewed?  What needs to be finalised? 

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,043
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If the reading was outside the expected range then they may have referred it to the "mysterious third party".
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,183
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    They also need to calculate the average calorific value for the period between meter readings.

(I don't know how long that usually takes, whether it's a factor here or not.)
  • Brie
    Forumite
    If the reading was outside the expected range then they may have referred it to the "mysterious third party".
    So the previous statement shows

3rd Nov. 2023 14388.4 Smart meter reading
    3rd Dec. 2023 14632.6 Smart meter reading 

And the reading I took on 1 Jan was 14853.  So a bit lower than what was used in November but also a couple of days earlier.  Is it possibly that we used less one month further into winter?  Given that the rates have gone up it would be worth investigating if I'd over reported rather than under.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,794
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Probably a general delay as many people would have done this and as mentioned above applying the calorific value. Give it a few days
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,043
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Also, in the Olden Days, when we changed suppliers almost as often as our underwear, the gas nearly always lagged behind the electricity transfer.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 611
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It’s to do with the calorific values being delayed over the holiday period. They come in everyday around midday so any reads given on a morning would show this, however they do get massively delayed over Xmas. Kraken system usually updates & bills but occasionally it doesn’t. If you don’t have it by tomorrow give them a ring, it’s an easy fix 
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 600
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have found their customer service really helpful by email. I have had to email quite a bit recently and they always respond the same day having done what I have asked. I might be jinxing it because I have just asked them to change the direct debit. [email protected] is the address I emailed and a named person has come back to me quickly. 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,567
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Both my and my daughter's accounts are updated this morning. 
  • Brie
    Forumite
    Thanks all - got my email showing my bill this morning.  
  • MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,794
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    Thanks all - got my email showing my bill this morning.  
    Phew...I was worried
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback