Amazon Vine

Options
Stumpy
Stumpy Posts: 1,109 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 4 January at 1:04PM in Small biz MoneySaving
I'm self employed .. sole "trader" .. essentially I do digital Audio Typing - currently just for one company (although did provide support for more in the past).  I don't earn enough to pay tax but do fill in a tax return.

I've been invited to Amazon Vine, which is basically where they will send you free stuff, that is being sold on their site, in exchange for your honest review.  You get to keep the free stuff if they don't ask for it back within 6 months (and from the research I've done, they don't tend to).  This "free stuff" isn't, of course, free - if I were to buy it on their site, I would have to pay for it.

My question is .. does this/should this have an impact on my tax return?  Is it classed as some sort of income?  Should I be declaring this somewhere?  Most of the items are low value .. I think the most expensive item was selling on their site for around £60, but the majority are less than a tenner and you're restricted on the number you can be sent.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.captureaccounting.com/do-you-have-to-pay-tax-on-pr-gifts

The above may be helpful as its fairly similar, where "influencers" are given free product in exchange for review/promotion
  • Stumpy
    Stumpy Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hmm .. still a fuzzy area, as the link refers to people promoting products .. but Amazon Vine products aren't expecting a promotion.  They might be hoping for one, but the remit is to give an honest review .. and they're not always positive :tongue:

I suppose as the majority of the items are under £50 worth of value, I should be okay anyway.  And I'm not reselling (although realise that they could be resold).

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback