Wifi strength mystery

2»

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

If you go into the admin for the router you should be able to set the channel the router is using, ideally it may have a scanner to find which one is least congested in your home and auto-select the best one. From personal experience this can occasionally cause problems with some more basic wifi connected devices (eg smart bulbs) reconnecting to the new channel. 

Or use inSSIDer to find the least congested channels?

• Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Thanks but my query relates to Chromebooks ...

A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Problem "solved".  Moving the router as little as 3ft and rotating it about 60 degrees seems to have done the trick!
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,571 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Si_Clist said:
    Problem "solved".  Moving the router as little as 3ft and rotating it about 60 degrees seems to have done the trick!
    Here's hoping it stays that way.  :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Could not post earlier but a useful tool is a WiFi analyser (similar to a recommendation in an earlier post).
    These give a graphical or tubular display of WiFi signal data so you can fine best positions, see signal channel levels ( and those with least interfering signals from other routers etc.') to select the best channels for use.
    Such an app is https://www.wifianalyzer.info/ available from that link on the Google play store ( there are others).
    Even though you have a much better signal at present it would help you optimise and see other signals that might crop up and cause you problems.

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As said above, WiFi Analyser is a useful tool to help you optimise the placement of your routers, see what interference is around you and to select the best channels.

Shifting stuff around can negate the requirement of additional equipment. My mate was investigating installing a mesh in his "difficult" house until he used the app and moved his router to a more suitable location.

Another solution is to use a wifi heatmap app to work out where the not spots are and to try an optimise the router location - https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/wifi-heatmap-software/

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure