Alternative to Dell support

stevoh
stevoh Posts: 197
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi All,

It may soon nuts but I'm new to owning a laptop. I've always used work laptops which have been supported and maintained by the company.

I have a Dell laptop and the support has expired. The quote to renew is really quite high, even for basic cover.

Does anyone know of an alternative? What do folk normally do? Just pay to get them repaired as required?

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Call Dell, speak to an agent, and tell them it's too much.  I did that and they dropped the price by almost half. . .
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, most will just pay on demand for the first X years of the laptops life and then use it as excuse to replace the laptop after X years. 

In 25 years of laptop use only had 2 repairs required, both were for physical damage and so wouldn't be covered by a warranty. The other computers got ill after 8 or more years of ownership so were replaced rather than repaired. 
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,516
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    stevoh said:
    Hi All,

It may soon nuts but I'm new to owning a laptop. I've always used work laptops which have been supported and maintained by the company.

I have a Dell laptop and the support has expired. The quote to renew is really quite high, even for basic cover.

Does anyone know of an alternative? What do folk normally do? Just pay to get them repaired as required?

Not sure what you meant to type in your first sentence, but anyway a few questions spring to mind:
    Is it for work or pleasure? If pleasure and you can live a day or two without it, forget any maintenance contract.

Can you do simple "repairs" yourself? Such as replacing a hard drive or SSD and reinstalling the operating system.

Do you have other devices you could use for email, web access and anything else you need to do in the short term?

If the laptop is for work, you need to look at your disaster recovery options and other contingencies. Starting with backups, but also including availability of alternative devices and the having software you need on them. The list goes on...

If you can detail your requirements more, you may get more appropriate suggestions.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As I used to fix these things for a living it would be deeply ironic if I ever had a problem with a unit I own that I couldn't fix (unless it was terminal or beyond economic repair), so I just fix my own problems.

Most issues though are software related which are relatively easy to fix, assuming the machine gets that far in the first place.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I just call Rob the "IT Fella" when needed. Just find a local man (or woman) when you need one.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback