What is best way to sell a car?

2»

Comments

• WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy said:
    I'm genuinely shocked at these "give it away to a buying service" responses.

O/P - you could replicate this by taking a large amount of money and flushing it down the toilet?
    We recently sold a car to Cazoo - they offered £8550 with no chipping and instant payment - compared to £6150 from WBAC who have always chipped on price.

Appreciate it may not be the same for the OP, but in our case similar cars on AutoTrader were advertised for £8995 by dealers.  Buying services are not universally rubbish in every case.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for comments I stuck it on Facebook and autotrader 

had enquiries already via auto trader email system , bizarrely their security advice says never to give out personal information so how the heck do I arrange for people to come and view ? 

I also had a call from a mobile that left a voicemail interested in the car from auto trader , again auto trader say not to share your contact details so how the heck did someone get my number ?

so confused ? I assume I can give people my address and phone number if they’ve enquired through autotrader 
    As per above, if you look at your advert on autotrader you'll see it has a number on the advert that wont be yours but will allow people to contact you.

Yes, giving people your address to come to view is fine.

• Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi all, just for info the car just sold via someone who saw it on facebook, i did have a load of viewing lined up from autotrader which i can now cancel

car went for just below my asking price which was over double what We buy any car and others offered
    Left is never right but I always am.
  • motorguy
    hi all, just for info the car just sold via someone who saw it on facebook, i did have a load of viewing lined up from autotrader which i can now cancel

car went for just below my asking price which was over double what We buy any car and others offered
    Thats brilliant news!

Result!
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Used Carwow a few months ago, I'd never sell privately again. 
    Dealer (Auto 100) paid virtually what I'd have listed at and sold it for not much more!
    They collected it on a transporter and paid in minutes having made a cursory walk round...it took about 20 minutes. 
    Wouldn't hesitate to use Carwow again and currently looking at buying remotely from Auto100...top notch outfit. 
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • motorguy
    edited 5 January at 8:55PM
    fred990 said:
    Dealer (Auto 100) paid virtually what I'd have listed at and sold it for not much more!
    They collected it on a transporter and paid in minutes having made a cursory walk round...it took about 20 minutes. 
    Wouldn't hesitate to use Carwow again and currently looking at buying remotely from Auto100...top notch outfit. 
    Listed too cheap in the first place then?

:/

Still, with no service history and never having been near a garage i guess you have to take what you can get. 
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    motorguy said:
    fred990 said:
    Listed too cheap in the first place then?

:/

Still, with no service history and never having been near a garage i guess you have to take what you can get. 
    I have just had a part ex price offered on mine for 7.5k. WBAC have also offered 7.5…cazoo have offered ( gteed it says as long as I have described it properly which I believe I have) 9.4… I don’t see the point of trying to sell privately if I can really get 9.4
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback