Receive calls/text abroad

Options
Have Huawei p60 not able to receive or send text/calls while in France?  - have pay as you go on Asda (Vodafone) only use WI-FI - so don’t need data roaming can anyone explain if I need to turn something ON in settings maybe? Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Your SIM needs to be active to receive calls, there may be a charge for that and of course outgoing calls will cost whatever Asda charge.

Receiving texts is free, sending costs money.

You need roaming enabled with data off and connect to the local mobile network.

• Chalky_Lady
    Chalky_Lady Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:
    Your SIM needs to be active to receive calls, there may be a charge for that and of course outgoing calls will cost whatever Asda charge.

Receiving texts is free, sending costs money.

You need roaming enabled with data off and connect to the local mobile network.

Oh that’s where I got confused I thought ‘Roaming’  was Mobile Data so had it turned off - now ‘On’ hopefully it will work next time I go to France - makes sense anyway - my sim is active and have a bundle for free text and calls - Thanks for your help knew it would be something silly 🙃 
  • ladruid
    ladruid Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't want to use data abroad, my guess would be leave roaming on (both account and phone), but turn off mobile data.

Two interesting Asda FAQ questions might be relevant :-

Do I need to switch data roaming on?

Yes, you’ll first need to switch data roaming on through your online account. Once logged in, navigate to My Profile; you’ll find data roaming under Features.

You’ll also need to activate data roaming on your mobile phone. This varies depending on the device, consult your manual to find out how.

Do I need to turn international calling on?

Yes, you’ll also need to activate international calling through your online account. You can do this through My Profile.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback