Car Insurance Unsure on Procedure

Hi,
Ive googled but cant find an answer, and was wondering if anyone can help please.

I have car insurance for my own personal car here in UK, and back in August 2023 I completed an online renewal form and paid for my policy to be renewed when the old one runs out on September 12th 2023

I went to Greece in September and hired a car and got excess insurance cover with Eversure prior to my trip, unfortunatly I clipped a wall in greece on September 9th and had to claim with Eversure for the minor damage I caused, my at home policy wasnt used at all, just the Eversure Excess insurance.

A thought has just occured to me:  So should I have notified the insurer for my own car even though when I applied for the renewal it was the month before I had the scrape in Greece, but remember the old policy ran out and the new one kicked in on the 12th September, should I have still needed to notify them I had claimed with Eversure.

My belief is as long as the accident had not happened before I applied for the renewal and I had paid fully for the annual cover then I wouldnt need to report it.  or should I have told my insurer when I got back home that I had the accident abroad 3 days before my old policy with them ran out and the new one kicked in? 

I hope Ive explained this clearly enough, it was quite hard to put into words.

Thanks

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My understanding is that you need to keep the insurance company updated with complete and accurate information at ALL times.  This is likely stated somewhere in your policy wording.
    So whether the incident happened before you completed the renewal form, between completion of this form and 12 September, or after 12 September you still need to disclose it.
    Given that the incident happened after you completed the renewal form, it is not a certainty that the insurance company will increase your premium for the period of insurance commencing 12 September.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You need to check the policy wording, some things you need to notify immediately and other things just before renewal. A claim on a different vehicle that has no chance of resulting in a claim against your other Motor policy generally only needs to be declared before renewal. 
  • Thanks to you both for the replies.
    I contacted my insurance company today and made them aware, they have charged me a small extra premium
    So all resolved now thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure