Freedom and Independence.

Options
It’s been a long journey but this year I see the light at the end of the tunnel. After a toxic relationship I had gone from being 20k in savings to 20k in debt. I lost more than that though, I lost myself. I’m nearly back! 20 years later. This year I will be debt free. Have an emergency fund. And pots for savings, expenses. Next year I might have a holiday! It’s going to be a tough day by day challenge and I want to be accountable.
thanks for reading and let me know how you manage to stay motivated and accountable.
2020: £20k debt.
2024 current update: remaining debt is £3550
DMP - £455 per month|100 Steps to be Debt Free by Xmas 2024 - 40/100|2024 Decluttering Campaign- daily|Emergency fund £100|overpay pot £0

Comments

• Four_Seasons
    Four_Seasons Posts: 855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome will be cheering you on. 😊 
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Welcome will be cheering you on. 😊 
    Thank you! Much appreciated.
    I have 6k to go and am using the grocery challenge, PAD and NSD to try and get there. 
    £455pm going to pay down the 6k and will need some overpayments to get into 2025 where I want to be with no debt!
    DMP - £455 per month|100 Steps to be Debt Free by Xmas 2024 - 40/100|2024 Decluttering Campaign- daily|Emergency fund £100|overpay pot £0
  • Charlotte_88_24
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing your journey to debt freedom! 
    Total debt remaining £15,664.21
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    So far this week I’ve had 3 NSD! Feels great! I’ve begun to hatch a plan, Mon, Tues, Weds are my days for that as a starting point.
    Ive opened a savings pot and begun the 1p challenge and rounded up payments into another pot on Monzo. I’m feeling much more mindful about spending and saving by taking part in the challenges and seeing others journeying through. 
    I like the 100 steps challenge to so I’m excited to see those steps go up as I move towards being debt free. So far I’m at 7.5/100. The NSD and grocery challenge will go to bringing my payments up. The savings pots - 1p challenge and rounding up, will be emergency fund building. Also help to save bonus will be split between the two. Saves and debt payments. 💪🏼🎉🤞🏼👌🏼
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Yesterday was a bit of a blow out. Mon- Weds seem to be my good days atm. Need to extend that period and performance! 
    The blasted co-op gets me every time I go in! £50 lighter for one small bag. Mainly son adding bits he wants and picky eater so I want to encourage his shopping and eating. Online shop for the week on the way and stocked up freezer so hopefully a better week next week and I will try and avoid the co-op ‘small’ shop
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    This diary and accountability is getting me so much more mindful and proactive. I’ve been thinking of ways to keep up the good work- minus the co op situation. I’ve remembered a voucher I can use for food, so postponed next weeks online shop and I’ll use that. Also just roasted all sub par veg from veg draw in a Thai curry paste to make into curry and soup. Smells amazing. Would have gone to the bin otherwise. Now dinner/lunches/freezer! I need to take down xmas tree and sort out the very clogged freezer- mostly full of ice- to make more room for my new organised and budget minded bulk cooks 🎉
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Ok tree, old lights done, charity donations happening. Wall cleaned, floors cleaned. Meters read 😞😳😭 £150 warm home discount thankfully applied -by March 31st.
    Holding out for my help to save bonus due next week. That will hopefully go towards debt. Aiming for £600 paid off of debt by the end of
    the month. That would be a nice 10% in the bag! So hopeful 🤞🏼

• BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Digital and house declutter happening. Finances looked at daily atm. Noticing every penny spent. Planning ahead and feeling in control. Tomorrow will be a day for enjoying some down time and feeling motivated to do some more work on finances, sorting and general life admin. Not chasing tail like usual and feeling a bit guilty for tiny moments of chilling. Feeling like I’m getting in control of it all, day by day, making those consistent steps. Still lots to work on, but I really do feel like it’s coming together and it is actually possible to have a content balanced life. 
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Defrosted the freezer! Can’t remember last time it was defrosted 2019?! Not since lockdown anyway. Feeling so accomplished! Loads of room in there for leftovers now, made space for getting the most out of my groceries and finances. Help to save bonus comes through on Monday. I’ll pop 205 in my overpayment pot and hopefully it will still be there at the end of the month so I’ll be up to 11/100 steps to being debt free! Being cautious as don’t have an emergency fund atm. 
    Hopefully all on the upward curve! I can’t wait to overpay! 
    Wardrobe/clothes sort to do but feeling quite accomplished so I’m going to enjoy the rest of the day, walk the dog and if I potter/do more that’s good but no pressure to, I want to enjoy life more and take every opportunity to have balance.
  • BudgetingBelinda
    Options
    Have to get some washing up liquid from the shop. It’s these little things I forgot that cost me a lot nipping into the small shop and losing willpower and budget at the door. I might not go. There’s a list of things I could do with but they’re not vital. I’d love another NSD. I wonder if a teaspoon of washing up liquid can last me a week! 🫣 (dishwasher might need to up its game).
    Kids school dinners- 2/5 and 5/5 already budgeted for. 
    If I end up in another co-op situation down £50 I’ll be so mad! That’s nearly another step. I want to be on 11/100 by the end of the month. Definitely do-able with willpower, intention and integrity. 
    Have to be out and about a bit today so I’ll be packing snacks for the boys and hoping I can avoid spending. 
    Counting a NSD as a day where I have not got anything outside of my budget/bills. Grocery shops -planned or not do not count! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback