Tesco mobile

Options

On Friday 29th December 2023, I visited Tesco mobile . My intention was to open a contract on two mobile phones. . However, each time they tried to progress the order, a computer error stated there was a sentinel error. On two occasions, the enquiry was deferred for further information. On both, they were told the purchase was fine and they should refresh the page. Each time, it returned to the sentinel error.

It was only when leaving the store, without purchase, that I realised, each attempt may result in a hard search on my credit file. I have an excellent maximum credit rating with both Experian and Clear Score. I have contacted Tesco mobile for a response but they have not replied

I did get a response from the  Macclesfield branch manager, stating the contract was declined by my Santander bank and I should contact Santander. I have done do and Santander have stated this explanation is nonsense and they did not decline. Anyone else had isdues? 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Let me be the first to say that the 3 figure score is absolutely meaningless, seen by you only, and is not used by any lender in any credit decision. 
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 January at 3:29PM
    Options
    As above, ignore any effect on your credit score/rating - the numbers are more or less a marketing gimmick created by the CRAs to try and sell you things they get commissions on. Instead you need to focus on the data on your files.

You are correct in that a hard search will impact your credit file, but the impact of one or two hard searches will be minimal, especially in a few month's time. If you're overly concerned you can make a complain to Tesco asking for the searches to be removed, but personally I wouldn't worry about it too much as they strictly speaking an accurate representation of what has happened. What's the point of having good credit history if you're too scared to take advantage of it and actually apply for anything after all?

Also your bank isn't a party to your agreement with Tesco so won't get involved in approving/declining the application. As long as there are sufficient funds to pay when the bill comes due they won't care either way.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback