Virgin media Contract change

Options
I am out of contract with Virgin media, previous contact was £45 a month, after a lot of going back and forth they are offering me the same package @ £67 however there are lots of things on the current contract that I do not need but they will only offer me the deal if its a like for like switch and I cannot remove services.  If I remove services the cost apparently will go up... Has anyone else managed to negotiate removing items and getting a lower price?  they are offering me

Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
Maxit TV (I dont really need this)
Broadband: Volt M350 Fibre Broadband
Telephone:Talk Weekends + Telephone Line Rental

of course if I were a new customer then I would get this a lot cheaper, I could switch providers but I cannot get high speed internet with anyone else at present.  So I am a bit stuck and cannot see any of reducing the cost.

anyone go any idea's on how to proceed with this?

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You would have to threaten them with switching to a new provider.  Eventually their "Retentions" team will call you and try and win you back and offer a deal.  Be very wary of anything they offer you - get a contract document so it is in writing.  Allegedly Virgin Media have a record of not delivering what they promise.  Have a look at their community forum.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 January at 5:54PM
    Options
    I am out of contract with Virgin media, previous contact was £45 a month, after a lot of going back and forth they are offering me the same package @ £67 however there are lots of things on the current contract that I do not need but they will only offer me the deal if its a like for like switch and I cannot remove services.  If I remove services the cost apparently will go up... Has anyone else managed to negotiate removing items and getting a lower price?  they are offering me

Virgin TV V6 Box, Powered By TiVo
    Maxit TV (I dont really need this)
    Broadband: Volt M350 Fibre Broadband
    Telephone:Talk Weekends + Telephone Line Rental

of course if I were a new customer then I would get this a lot cheaper, I could switch providers but I cannot get high speed internet with anyone else at present.  So I am a bit stuck and cannot see any of reducing the cost.

anyone go any idea's on how to proceed with this?
    Bit in bold - this isn't actually a rule as far as I know, its probably just to convince you to take a higher price. 

Options are to hang up and try again, hoping to get someone who comes up with a different offer, or cancel and wait for retentions. The latter has never failed me in getting a better deal than they initially offered, usually close to the new customer rates, but its a risk. 
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you live with your partner? If so, cancel the contract you currently have with Virgin and take out a new contract with Virgin under your partner's name. I did this with Virgin for 8 years by cancelling the contract when the initial deal ends and rotating the name on the new contract between myself and my girlfriend. This way you always get the best deals which are reserved for new customers. Also saves the effort and bother of haggling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback