Box to replace Sky Q

Options
prowla
prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
I've ended my Sky Q service, the contract ended today.
The box is still here, pending Sky sending me the return packaging, and will receive the free-to-air channels but the subscription ones and apps don't work; that is as expected.
I'd like to have something to put in ints place to receive & record via terrestrial, satellite and broadband and also install apps (iPlayer, Now, Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV, etc.).
I already have smart TV, Firestick and AppleTV devices, but I'd just like a single box which does it all rather than switching from one to the other.
I've also got an older Sky HD box (and one of the non-recording standalone ones), but I think it may not work with the LNBs which the Sky installer changed when I had Sky Q installed.
What are my options?

Comments

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I personally have the BT Youview box: https://amzn.eu/d/ee4Qgi2

It allows you to pause, rewind and record live TV and has access to iPlayer, ITV X, Channel 4 Catch Up, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV. One thing to note: in order to access these online services, it needs to be plugged into your modem. It cannot connect through the WiFi. If that's not a problem, I would strongly recommend. Had mine for nearly 5 years and saved me a small fortune not having to fork out for Sky or Virgin.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    We initially went from Sky Q to BT but returned the box after 10 days and instead bought a Roku 4k streaming stick which is excellent, we already paid for Netflix & Disney anyway.
    Our TVs are >5 years old and although both smart TVs they were too slow to manage alone, they wouldn't load BBC iplayer or ITVX for example..
    Now that we want a second Roku they are OOS everywhere so we'll wait.
  • saveallmymoney
    saveallmymoney Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went from Sky Q to just using my Apple TV with all the streaming and terrestrial broadcasters apps installed. I'm really happy with it.

I can also subscribe to as many services as i like and i'm not getting close to what i used to spend on my Sky subscription!
    43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Manhattan are supposed to be bringing out a new freeview recording box imminently, although it has been imminent for six months. I think it will be capable of streaming as well, not absoluto sure. I have an older box which is still going strong. If you want a box for recording, not just streaming, it is worth considering.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Options:
    1. Buy a freesat 4k (aka Arris) recording box to work with the $ky Q wideband LNB.  https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat/set-top-boxes/recordable-4k-tv-box
    It has issues see and read the DigitalSpy and AVForums threads on it before proceeding.

2. Replace the LNB with a universal so that the old $ky box can act the same as the Q does. No record facility.  You could buy an older freesat recording box from Humax second hand to work with that.  Most won't do the full catchup or streaming though.

3. If you have a working UHF TV aerial - consider a Freeview PVR (inc the You View and Play variants).  Again some are limited in catchup and/or streaming.  Without the aerial forget those boxes altogether.

For streaming: use the Fire TV or similar low cost addon device - no all in one solution does it all and/or is supported long term.  (No Netflix on the freesat 4k box iirc is one example).
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "receive & record via terrestrial, satellite and broadband " I don't believe there is a box that can accept terrestrial & satellite signals both, also most streaming apps don't allow you to record their content. Save your money and use what you have already unless absolutely desperate to record.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback