6 years of saving so I could take out 35 years of debt.

Options
Started a thread a long way back while I was saving a mortgage deposit with the gf.

lost track of keeping it updated so have decided to start a new one now we’ve finally done it!

after moving back to my mums for “6months” i finally moved out 6 years later. Oops.

so…. We completed in October and are now settled in and feeling more and more at home each week.

we purposefully went for a cheaper house than we can afford as we hate the idea of paying a mortgage for the rest of our lives. 

Locked in for 5 years at 3.82%

Mortgage amount is 146,000

target is to overpay at least £130 a month which will take us down to 25 years.

I’m going to try to update the thread every month to keep track of my progress. 

Currently we’ve made 3 payments. The first month we didn’t overpay as the payment was around £350 more due to interest between completion and moving in.

month 1  - no overpayment
month 2 - £300
month 3 - £300

Comments

• northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome to the 'club' 😀
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! 
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
  • fjireland
    fjireland Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good luck ! 

Very much on top of it if you are overpaying already having just started the mortgage … stick to it …. You will see the mortgage being dented in no time ;) 
    June 2017 - £295k mortgage/htb 
    June 2020 - £270k mortgage/htb
    Dec 2021 - £228k mortgage 
    Dec 2022 - £195k mortgage 
    Dec 2023 - £162.5k mortgage 
    Dec 2024 Target - £140k mortgage 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Slightly different you Walker1
    We bought a 2 bedroom flat in a very nice and very convenient location.  It was nearly the maximum we could afford, at 60% LTV, but we wanted comfort that we'd be spending the foreseeable future in a place where we're happy.
    We took out a repayment mortgage with a 25 year term.  We will not make overpayments because there is a lot of evidence showing that the long term rate of return on investments is higher than average mortgage interest rate over an equivalent period.
    My projection is that we'd be able to repay the mortgage within 15 years.  Repaying the mortgage early would increase our disposable income but keeping the mortgage until the end of the term would be taking the most advantage of the relatively cheap borrowing.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.

I save my OPs separately and invest in AVC linked to pension to create future tax free lump sum. Definitely consider pension and long term income and not just your mortgage. I am closer to retirement than you though.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Walker1
    Walker1 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.

I save my OPs separately and invest in AVC linked to pension to create future tax free lump sum. Definitely consider pension and long term income and not just your mortgage. I am closer to retirement than you though.
    Thanks for your input! Honestly it’s not somthing I’ve considered and maybe I should… will have a look into it.
  • Walker1
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    Slightly different you Walker1
    We bought a 2 bedroom flat in a very nice and very convenient location.  It was nearly the maximum we could afford, at 60% LTV, but we wanted comfort that we'd be spending the foreseeable future in a place where we're happy.
    We took out a repayment mortgage with a 25 year term.  We will not make overpayments because there is a lot of evidence showing that the long term rate of return on investments is higher than average mortgage interest rate over an equivalent period.
    My projection is that we'd be able to repay the mortgage within 15 years.  Repaying the mortgage early would increase our disposable income but keeping the mortgage until the end of the term would be taking the most advantage of the relatively cheap borrowing.
    Yeh…. Investments scare me 😂

at the moment I’m happy that the interest on our savings is higher than our mortgage rate but I realise that won’t last forever.

i honestly don’t know where to start with investments. And advice on things to look at would be much appreciated.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think starting with a higher savings rate than your mortgage is a good entry level - as is ensuring you have a decent emergency fund (EF). I think cashflow is what makes the difference between keeping your home in difficult times and not. It's much better if that cashflow isn't reliant on credit cards and further borrowing as that may not be available if the proverbial hits the fan. Only once you have a decent EF in place would wider investments be appropriate. If you look up books like the £ or your life by V Robins or the simple path to wealth that may offer you a good start. Lots of useful summaries on utube and similar... 
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • LadyWithAPlan
    LadyWithAPlan Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Vanguard - their sipp and isa are v low cost, however yes get a EF in place
    pension planning is the most tax efficient way to save especially if you start earning more...but not sure how old you are.
    So a blend of sipps, isas, EDF and mortgage OPs will keep you balanced and busy

There will always be a (beautiful stilettoed) foot in fabulous in LaPlan's life.
    I am choosing to be fabulously frugal to support some wonderful life changing and affirming financial goals including buying a London home I love.

DON'T BUY STUFF (from Frugalwoods)
    No seriously, just don’t buy things. 99% of our success with our savings rate is attributed to the fact that we don’t buy things. You can’t really hack your way to frugal. You can and should take advantage of discounts, coupons, rewards points, and the like. But at the end of the day, the only way to truly save money is to not buy stuff.    Money doesn’t walk out of your wallet on its own accord.

My March  streaks to track
    Track Minimalist game  items (Nov 310)   (Dec  95)  (Jan 90)   Feb 50
    Exercise streak  
    YNAB days:: Target 50 days -Age of money 29
    Track my NSD's - Target 13 days/ 0/13

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289577/future-proofing-my-life-deposit-saving-then-mfw-journey-in-under-13-years#latest
  • Walker1
    Options

Vanguard - their sipp and isa are v low cost, however yes get a EF in place
    pension planning is the most tax efficient way to save especially if you start earning more...but not sure how old you are.
    So a blend of sipps, isas, EDF and mortgage OPs will keep you balanced and busy

Thanks! 

Have an EF sorted already. Got around 12 months money put to one side which we have no intention of touching.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback